Chimney cap questions-pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteD

Jun 4, 2008
Here
I have to figure out whether to put my class A security chimney through this cap (or fabricate a new one cheap).

Here is the chimney now:
IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

The current setup appears to made of galvanized, painted with some sort of black oxidizing protection (I assume).

I was thinking I could cut a hole in the top and have the chimney up through that plate. Of course there are three plates the chimney will pass through on the way up. The lowest hole will be oversized since an AC chimney was used on my old fireplace.

The manual says I need to extend the chimney 18 inches above the chase. I am assuming that does not include my louvered structure, but the I can just extend 18 inches above my rain cap (piece right on top of wood chase).

I am not against a new fabricated stainless steel raincap (for long-term durability), but I am concerned about 1) cost and 2) only having one sealed surface surrounding pipe to prevent water from penetrating. I have seen some prices on-line as starting at $450 for stainless steel. At that price, I will retrofit the current one. The rain cap now is approximated 30 by 30" on top.

McMaster Carr has nice brushed stainless steel sheets 48 x 36 x .048" for $120, or course I do not have metal bending equip.

I am open to all recommendations or thoughts on how to proceed or think about this one.

Thanks,
Pete

I myself would prefer a top plate that has a continuous raised ring around the hole the chimney pipe comes through. That was your not relying on a sealant or caulk alone to keep any water out of the chase. Of course the problem being, one tat size will be costly. Unless you can purchase s.s. sheet, take to a metal shop, and have them cut the hole roll form the raised edge around the hole and bend the 4 sides over and weld the corners.
Even if that costsa couple hundred bucks, the stainless should outlast you, and the added water protection & peace of mind are worth it. Well would be to me at least. Do it right the first time & be done with it.

Yeap, man thats a beauty.
If you go that route, I suggest as added backup to still seal with HT silicone where the pipe comes through that collar, use a storm ring above that and also seal that with silicone.
YOu should at that point never have to worry about a leak.

Wow, whats the link to buy that?

Status
Not open for further replies.