Chimney Cap Repair ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeLikeUmFire

Sep 17, 2009
Lapeer, Michigan
I have a traditional brick chimney with 2 clay crocks. I need to do some tuck pointing on the few top layers of brick. My question is instead of redoing the cement on the very top of the chimney (where is surrounds the clay) am i allowed to just sheet it with some type of metal cap?

That seems like it would be harder to do than repointing/replacing the mortar cap. Got some pics?

RegencyR14 said:
I have a traditional brick chimney with 2 clay crocks. I need to do some tuck pointing on the few top layers of brick. My question is instead of redoing the cement on the very top of the chimney (where is surrounds the clay) am i allowed to just sheet it with some type of metal cap?

a sheet metal "chaise" top might work, with cap adapted to it

agreed, pics or it didn't happen ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.