Chimney cap/spark aresstor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclone

May 20, 2008
North East Pennsylvania
As mnetioned in previous post I am a new wood burner. Along with the new stove I also had a new masonary chimney built. As the chimney stands now I have a stainless steel chimney cap on. Is this going to inhibit of how my burner operates. Is this recommened.

It shouldn't inhibit your draft much at all. The screen/spark arester is only needed if you're burning things in your stove that you shouldn't be like paper and garbage.

I suppose there are some areas that may require it by code as well. This year I'm going to take the screen out from under my chimney cap.

This was a post of mine as you can see. I found this as I was searching. To answer my own question now it does seem to draft better and since I have a downdraft stove it also seems easier to get into its afterburn.

Does anybody else have an opinion on this??

Screens serve a couple of purposes. They keep critters out of your chimney, and (if properly sized) they minimize the chance that an ember large enough to pose a threat will ever escape. Since they are at the coldest part of the chimney, they tend to collect soot/creosote, which will have a tendency to decrease the available free area for airflow over time. Yes, that will negatively affect draft. Spark arrestor screens are required by code in some locations, notably those prone to wildfire. Chimney caps are available in many styles/sizes, and if you want to run one with a screen you should be able to find one with a generous height (larger total screened area), which will help mitigate the screen's tendency to clog. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.