chimney cap with side access for cleaning flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newatthis

Aug 28, 2014
Charlottesville, VA
We have a leaky chimney, and need a chimney cap, and have recently installed a wood insert. I just spoke to someone locally who fabricated this attractive copper cap:

P1050442.JPGP1050441.JPG

But this is a roofer/chimney guy, and not a wood stove or chimney sweep guy. My question is how to access the flue for cleaning. The chimney is large, so taking off the entire cap for cleaning would require two people and be quite a production. I was hoping he could create a cap that would have easy access, maybe hinged on the top, to access the relevant flue (there are 3 flues, only one needs cleaning). He said he could allow side access with a screw-on panel or two of removable screen. For some reason, he preferred that over a removable or hinged top.

My question is, would side access like this still make the flue accessible? Have a call out to the chimney sweep who was here recently, and hope to have his input, but would like a lot of opinions. I see youtube videos where people sweep with a brush going straight down- that would not be possible with this arrangement- but also see devices, brushes that attach to a drill, with flexible rods. Would a chimney sweep work with a cap like this? Thanks for your input!

Not really removable or hinged top is the way to go for sure. I am a sweep and i would work with it if need be but id be pissed about it lol. Looks great though

bholler, can you clarify what you said about "not really removable"? I think the guy (he's not the actual fabricator) thought that the details of attaching the top most part would be too hard. I could see where hinged might also be unwieldy, as our chimney is pretty big, 56" x 56". Might strain the hinges to lift such a heavy top.

I really didn't like the option of using masonry anchors to take the entire apparatus off each time it needed cleaning. The holes would eventually wear out.

sorry i mean it would not really be accessible to clean i see that was not clear sorry. A removable top is pretty easy to do

An important factor you have to consider is that you are going to have to have access to the inside of caps screen for cleaning. Rain/chimney caps are typically the dirtiest part of a set up and the cap screens will clog up with creosote and must be cleaned. I typically have to clean my cap mid-way through a burning season if I am burning any marginal wood. With a cap that big you're going to have to have a way to access the inside of the screen for cleaning. I don't see how it would be possible to expect to be able to clean it from a bottom up approach without removing the cap.

Thanks, Nick. I just spoke to our chimney sweep who was just here, and the first thing he said was how big was the mesh. (He's continuing to tell me that Morsos produce a lot of creosote- I'm hoping it's just that the local Morso owners are using fresh wood). He said that 3/4 inch would be all right, but the 1/2 inch shown here would clog badly with creosote. He told me it is possible to have a cap with the top removable, although the fabricator seemed to think that would be difficult. I gotta get them together.

Any opinion about 3/4 inch mesh still being effective in keeping the birds out?

#/4" works fine for birds bats can get through if they really want to

Status
Not open for further replies.