chimney cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2007
Chelmsford, Ma
Hey guys, i'm looking for a new chimney cap.The one i have now is real flimsy and the screen is falling out... It's 6" round. Just looking for something a little more sturdy and nicer looking.. this one looks real cheap too. Links or pics would be great thanks.

Check out my website we have a few caps on there.

FJLayes625 said:
Hey guys, i'm looking for a new chimney cap.The one i have now is real flimsy and the screen is falling out... It's 6" round. Just looking for something a little more sturdy and nicer looking.. this one looks real cheap too. Links or pics would be great thanks.

Is it true that you must use the same brand cap as you use chimney so as to maintain the UL or whatever listing on the chimney system?

Highbeam said:
Is it true that you must use the same brand cap as you use chimney so as to maintain the UL or whatever listing on the chimney system?

It's not so much for the UL listing but more for the compatibility. I might make a pipe that is 6 inches but that might be the outside diameter whereas my competitor might make it for the inside diameter. Some fireplaces maintain that you have to use an approved cap. More so for gas stoves then wood.

My non-legal opinion is that as long as the chimney meets the necessary UL approval and the chimney cap meets the necessary UL approval and the cap fits properly and securely on the chimney, it is safe to use. At my home I wouldn't hesitate to use that combination of parts from different manufacturers as long as they met the conditions I mentioned.

John_M

The manufacturer is always going to say that it was only UL tested as a "system". That being said I seriously doubt that any chimney cap is going to set the sky on fire.

Highbeam said:

according to the pipe makers, yes.
in reality, any cap in a storm is my take on things

Status
Not open for further replies.