chimney cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pistonslap

Burning Hunk
Oct 7, 2006
southwestern Pa.
If your chimney cap is not gunked up with creosote is it a good sign that your chimney is fairly clean? I am afraid of heights and my 3 story roof has a really steep pitch, so getting up there and checking it isn't really an option. Looking at it with binoculers, it looks like there is no build-up in the slots in the cap. I run my flue temp. up to 600-700f for at least 1/2 hr. everyday and it's still drafts like it did after the last cleaning in September.

If the cap isn't gunked up, I'd say your in good shape. Thats the coolest place the gases hit, and will creosote up first & worst.
Your lucky, mine is the only thing that really builds up creosote, but has been better lately with the hotter fires due to colder weather.
Build yourself or buy some chicken ladders for you roof. If you choice the right materials or construction, you can leave them hooked onto the roof all winter, and take them down during non stove use. They are made for & perfect for steep roofs.

My chimney cap, AKA "creosote catcher" is the only part of my chimney that has any creosote. I hate the damn thing.

I'd also guess that you are probably in good shape, but do you have a liner, and how is it set up? If you can get to it and give it a little "whack", and you dont hear creosote falling, then you are very like doing well.

what was the condition when it was cleaned last year? Was there a lot of creosote? If not, and you you feel like you are burning fairly consistantly, then all factors indicate you dont have a problem.

If you're not comfortable going on the roof.... DON'T go up there, if you can't do the cleanings from the bottom, you'll just have to pay the sweep to do it.

You could also take a peek from down below. If you have a unit with a baffle board in it most can be removed for sweep access, the owners manual should say how to get it out. Just don't break it and make sure it gets back in properly or you will decrease your efficiency. Looking from below is not the best way to do it since thats usually the hottest place but if you have a fair amount down there its only going to be worse at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.