Chimney Cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
Wow, what a web site. I’ve spent many hours reading here, thanks to all. This is my first season heating with wood. We began this stove endeavor as a weekend deal for something better than a fireplace. Well, the Lopi Freedom Bay has been on pretty much 24/7 since November here in Iowa. We obviously love it. I’ve swept the chimney twice getting under a 12 oz can of creosote both times, 4 weeks apart. The cap itself had an additional 4 to 6 ounce volume of creosote. It was more brittle whereas what swept from the chimney into the stove was black ashes. Does anyone recommend just leaving the cap off during the worst of the winter so it doesn’t creosote up? My wood is primarily red/white oak with up to third of sparkler wood (Osage Orange Hedge) at a time per stove load. I’ve been sneaking in some walnut once in a while too because it’s so beautiful to handle. However, the walnut doesn’t give as much heat. My wood is dry. Our first week we learned about wet fuel puffing out steam from the cut ends. Well, no more, we now place the next day’s clean outdoor wood on a ping-pong table w/low velocity fan running in dry basement to make sure it’s dry. The outdoor wood has a roof over it too but open sides. My stove top temps near the flue connection are running 400 to 600 most of the time.
The past 24 hours, a near historic snow storm moved through. It blew all kinds of snow through the roof vents in my pole barn for the first time in 15 years. No big deal out there though. But at the house, I now have the weirdest chimney cap dribble icicle. I check the cap several times daily and have not seen this before, hoping the driven snow is the cause. (attempting to figure out how to attach picture)

Attachments

• Cap-Dribble-2-2-11-for-web.gif
    Cap-Dribble-2-2-11-for-web.gif
    449.6 KB · Views: 247
Welcome to the site!

Yea, that cap strangeness is from the weather. That is a great pic.

Your efforts for using dry wood are worth merit. I suggest however doing whatever you can to keep at least 1 year ahead on your wood supply. While your setup will dry your wood some, it's nothing like having wood that is truly seasoned by air drying 12+ months split and stacked outdoors. Oak often times takes 2 years. You won't believe the difference and I highly suggest you do what you can to get ready for next season now. You will cut down on your wood consumption and will significantly reduce the amount of creosote you are finding in your cap and chimney.

good to have you here.

pen

Oh ya, we'll be ready for next fall. I'm on the hunt for a log splitter too and have multiple free options around here for wood collection. Much of my current supply has been dead for three years, bark is falling off quite well ...... but it was cut/split in September (last fall). Also have a lot I cut due to a major icestorm of December 2007 during cleanup efforts. Wish I hadn't gave so much of it away now.

Status
Not open for further replies.