Chimney caps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

black smoke signals

Feeling the Heat
Nov 6, 2016
Wyoming Colorado
I would avoid those caps if at all possible yes they work to limit any nevative effect of wind on your draft but they are a real pain to clean

Are you saying the top horizontal pipe can creosote up or plug? Have a cap in mind that will help my application that is easy to clean from inside the house?

The wind directional cap, i.e., "rooster tail" or "roman helmet" caps work well until they gunk up with creosote. In places, like on the coast & close to the beach, they are almost a requirement due to wind issues. They are easier to clean than the one you are looking at. Go SS if you should get one of those wind-directional types (they are worth the cost), & the simpler the bearing in it the better, as a bushing bearing doesn't gum up as fast as a ball-bearing or roller bearing.