Chimney checkup time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
I noticed that the birds love my chimney, so i got up on the roof today to make sure they didn't build a nest in there. I have let numerous birds out of the stove and chased them out of the house. I have about 1/4 inch of very fine flaky ash buildup on the walls of the chimney in some spots, otherwise just a light brownish/ greyish haze on the rest of the SS pipe.

Sound okay?.

Bob

njtomatoguy said:
I noticed that the birds love my chimney, so i got up on the roof today to make sure they didn't build a nest in there. I have let numerous birds out of the stove and chased them out of the house. I have about 1/4 inch of very fine flaky ash buildup on the walls of the chimney in some spots, otherwise just a light brownish/ greyish haze on the rest of the SS pipe.

Sound okay?.

Bob
You mean to say you didn't clean it out yet.Talk about last minute. :gulp:

njtomatoguy said:

Sound okay?.

Bob

Depends - is this from any burning you've done so far this fall (presumably not much?) or left over from not cleaning after last years season? If the former you may have a buildup problem. If the latter, sounds like you'll be doing fine - AFTER you give the chimney a quick brush.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.