Chimney Cleaning Dilemma

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Hey Guys: need to do a mid-season chimney clean. my chimney extends 6ft high on the roof. thinking of buying a 6ft aluminum ladder with horizantal rungs so I can lean it against the chimney to stand on while I push the rods down.

Good plan, or any other ideas? Usually get the sweep in every summer,but if I have to do it twice a year, then should do the mid-season myself. Chimney is brick with SS liner.

Okay, don`t hear anything negative about this ,so time to buy the ladder,brush, and rods.

There`s just something about being 20+ feet off the ground that I can`t bring myself to enjoy.lol

cant you have a brush on a pully system installed..that is hwat my parents have. dotn know if it works on a SS liner though

Hey Guys: need to do a mid-season chimney clean. my chimney extends 6ft high on the roof. thinking of buying a 6ft aluminum ladder with horizantal rungs so I can lean it against the chimney to stand on while I push the rods down.

That's how I do it except I pull the brush down to my clean-out. Just be careful as shingles can't take much abuse in cold weather....oh, and don't bail off ;-)

I don't like the idea of going on the roof in the winter where there is high potential for ice and other slipperyness... "Slip-sliding away" is only fun when somebody else is singing about it! :lol: I'd look to see if there is any way to clean from the bottom... This is what I always do as I have a chimney that's at least seven feet up out of the middle of my 12/12 pitch roof, it isn't worth the risk to get up there even in the summer time. (Back when I had a sweep, he also cleaned from the bottom...)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.