Chimney Cleaning for BIS Ultra

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I have been spending a lot of time reading the forums here. Some great info and some obliviously well informed people. I have had my BIS Ultra installed in my home for 3 years and I really like it. I notice that not many people seem to favor this type of stove, just wondering why? (readers digest version please).

Secondly, I have thinking about cleaning out the chimney (well I have thought about every year, this year I plan to do it!!). I read the discussion about doing it yourself which is more my style then paying someone else. But it seems that the "stove" people remove their chimney from the stove when they clean it out. How would you, or is it possible with the SC BIS series?

Thanks for your input.

Zero-clearance fireplaces like the Ultra (or my Ultima) make the most sense for new construction, or for replacing an existing prefab fireplace. Most of the folks on here seem to be retrofitting old masonry fireplaces with freestanding stoves or inserts (which are basically the same as zero-clearance fireplaces). In general the freestanding stoves are cheaper, and they give off more radiant heat.

Your cleaning options, assuming it's similar to the Ultima, are to
A) Climb up on the roof and brush down the chimney into the fireplace, or
B) Figure out how to remove the middle burn tubes, get fairly flexible chimney rods, and brush up from the bottom
If you do figure out how to remove the burn tubes, let me know. Someone here suggested using vice grips to hold a tube, and then tapping the grips sideways with a hammer to free one end. I haven't tried that yet.

Can flex rods be used by just moving the back baffle section forward like they show in the manual for the Ultima?

Edit: Never mind. I think I see the answer. The brush wouldn't fit between the burn tubes.

BrotherBart said:
Can flex rods be used by just moving the back baffle section forward like they show in the manual for the Ultima?

Edit: Never mind. I think I see the answer. The brush wouldn't fit between the burn tubes.

Yes, that's the problem. Maybe a very soft brush would go between, but the standard stiff nylon will never fit. The middle two tubes need to come out. Moving the rear baffle section alone merely keeps the crud from piling on the baffle when cleaning from the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.