chimney cleaning how often?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim H.

Feeling the Heat
i was finally able to get the gas stove pipe out of the wall (up and into chimney). what i found was a round terra cotta pipe 8" or so. I also was able to open the cleanout door on the outside of the chimney. when i looked thru the cleanout door i measured and found about a foot or so rise to where the flex pipe is coming thru and up. now putting in the xxv with the pipe coming up top then elbow into the chimney wall. this is where i am not sure if i should go with solid pipe with a "T" so i can use the cleanout that is nice and convenient. hence my question.....how often should i be cleaning the chimney and should i take advantage of the cleanout....thanks.

jim

I have found with a 3" vent it all depends on how many bags of pellets you are going through in a day. The Big E I run in the store burns 2+ bags a day and I try to clean the vent every 8 weeks. The vent does have a large amount of ash in it at that time. The best way is to check it after running for a while. I know guys that clean it monthly and I know guys that wait till it clogs to clean it. Trial and Error is the best way I think.

Eric

It's sujested that for a 3" vent one a year or every two tons, which ever comes first.

thanks....the owner of kc stoves was here this morning and looks like we are just going into the chimney with the top vent kit and sealing (temporary) of the cleanout so no cool air leaks in and not taking any pipe up. It is 8" tile or whatever it is called all the way up. i just have to get rid of the flex for the gas and put on a new cap? He recommended putting home insulation up in the cleanout about a foot from where the opening of the chimney goes from the room then up. make sense? from what i have read it seems as though the chimney could be to big? i keep reading about 3" or 4" pipe.....just curious.

jim

Status
Not open for further replies.