Chimney cleaning info.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Squisher

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2015
vernon BC, Canada
I'm hoping to find more information on chimney cleaning/sweeping and some of the intricacies of this line of work. I have searched here and on google and haven't come across any great resources. Probably holding my mouth wrong I know.

I've read the little bits of info here and there but would love some great resources to poor over.

I don't know if it's appropriate to ask for links to outside info or if it's allowed here , and if it's not I apologize and won't be offended if a mod needs to do what they do.

But really even recommended literature or any info would be appreciated.

What do you need to know? Thinking of doing it yourself? What's your set up, how do you hope to access it? Stove, pipe size, liner or no liner, just a fireplace etc...?

Throw some info out there for everyone and ask your questions, I'm sure you'll find that someone has an answer to what you're asking.

Well honestly I'm considering learning the trade and going into business for myself.

Don't laugh, I'm not 18. I'm 41 and have logged for nearly 12 years and then built my own residential tree service business over a 10 year period that I sold this last summer. So I know a bit about hard work, business, and working in a vertical environment. When I started my tree service business I was a logger, now I am a certified arborist and produced the highest quality of tree care available locally. So I can learn things.

I have cleaned my own chimney as a clay lined chimney but have yet to clean the SS insert that I just installed with my new stove this fall. I have hired locally available services as well and been underwhelmed with the work and the responsiveness, like even returning a call. The last fellow I hired to do it didn't re-install the screws in my stovepipe and when I questioned him about it he told me I didn't need them.

So I've been seriously thinking about coming in green. There are a week to ten days of industry recognizing courses happening near me in the early spring and I'm wanting to emerge myself as much as possible before then. Start sweeping I'm thinking, gain certifications/experience to be able to move onto repairs and installs.

I've always followed my interests/passions.

Reactions: Jeffm1
I don't mean my post to be insulting towards any of the pros on here. I understand that experience is invaluable. I am looking to consider if there are any options of working for someone/apprenticing in some way. But I would only considering doing that with someone I was confident was a real pro. I can't work with hacks, or lazy people.

Apprenticing for a while is not a bad idea but really the cleaning part of things is not complicated other than figuring out how to service all the different stove you will run into. As far as needed equipment. A good vac is the most important about $1000. You will need a good set of rods about 30 feet. About $300 or $400. Assorted brushes $100 or so. I really think a rotary cleaning setup is worth the investment at $500 or so for a pro setup. You should really also have a camera setup. That varies in price greatly from $1500 to $10000. And then various hand tools and drills.

Reactions: Squisher
Thanks for that are there online retailers you would suggest looking for these products, or specific brands you use or have had experience with? I understand there will be some initial outlay. Also one of the sweeps I've had out in the past had the same craftsman professional shop vac that I had purchased years ago when I had laid hardwood floors in a previous home. It's rather large and bulky though and figured there must be better units out there for the job.

I do a lot of vehicle mechanical work and would rather buy a quality tool once than be frustrated with subpar performance of a inferior one.

Reactions: SpaceBus
A good insert puller probably wouldn't be bad to have either. For all of those 700 pound slammer inserts still out there. That is $800 or $900 bucks.

Also one of the sweeps I've had out in the past had the same craftsman professional shop vac
I would not trust that if the filter fails and you dust a house it will cost you more than a good vac for the cleaning.

A good insert puller probably wouldn't be bad to have either. For all of those 700 pound slammer inserts still out there. That is $800 or $900 bucks.
Most good pros will not touch them anymore we have an insert puller but will no longer work on slammers other than one cleaning and evaluation for a proper install. And that cleaning costs atleast twice what a normal cleaning costs.

Reactions: Heatsource
Thanks. That confirms what I was thinking on the shop vac. I won't buy any gear more than likely until after I take some courses WETT BC is offering numerous courses at the end of April and beginning of May. One of which is a two day courses on sweeping.

I do snowplow contracting in the winter that I did along with my tree business but I kept that end of it and will continue to run that annually so I'm not looking to rush into anything.

I wouldn't put myself out there as a sweep until I had at the least taken some sort of training or apprenticeship.

I am very much interested in researching the trade and the tools as much as possible beforehand though.

I am very much interested in researching the trade and the tools as much as possible beforehand though.
There is allot to learn but the best way to learn is by doing it. The equipment is easy to research though.

And you can't gain experience by not doing it.

I'm not looking to jump the gun. If I can find a pro to learn from/work for I will. But as I mentioned earlier I have no desire to learn subpar techniques. I'll be evaluating anyone locally that I can and taking some courses and researching myself. I have done a much more thorough inspection and cleaning than anyone I've ever hired. But I realize that's one chimney/stove.

I wasn't looking to start a thread of opinion on what I'm considering. I was just hoping to find some info/research leads.

I wasn't looking to start a thread of opinion on what I'm considering. I was just hoping to find some info/research leads.
No bad opinion from me we will always welcome new guys. I would take those classes as a start. And try to find some one local to work with. Even if they are not up to the standards you want to be at it is still experince that you can get payed for. then replace them with better service.

I'm sure that's the best advice. I will try contacting one company I can think of and see how receptive they are. I guess part of my issue with it too is if my intention is to start my own thing I feel like it would be underhanded if I wasn't upfront about it and sort of figure that would sink my chances of employment. Still worth a try though I think.

I meant nothing negative at all by that comment, sorry if it came across wrong.

I think getting into sweeping is a wise move. At least around here I've had similar experiences with sweeps not doing proper or thorough jobs. There's definitely a shortage of them during the burning season. I recently saw a weekend course being offered somewhere here in the states. I considered it, but then remembered the least favorite part of my job as a contractor is getting on high roofs.

Cool, I must've been feeling defensive last night. Lol. I shouldn't have implied that anyone meant anything negative.

I'm good with heights and working in a vertical environment. Atleast up to and beyond what I imagine I'll find locally. Although I do live next door to two of the tallest chimneys I've ever seen at a retired glass plant. I have a healthy respect for Gravity and so am very interested also in learning what the tricks of the trade are for access.

I've made a living most of my life by doing things that many people don't want to. I was a climber/rigger for highlead cable logging for a long time, than climber/cutter for my own tree service. So the uniqueness of sweeping and chimney work really appeals to me. I can see every chimney being kind of different and requiring different problem solving to be done safely and efficiently, just as it was in working with trees. Also as with logging and tree work I'm sure sometimes it's a tough job where you just have to bear down, dig deep, and get it done.

Well I will say after poking around all the deepest, darkest, sootiest corners of the Internet that I could that sweeps are a very secretive bunch. Even more than treeguys, somewhat dissapointing that in a industry where safety is the number one goal that any and all information that can be is kept as secretive as possible and newcomers are basically shunned.

A warning to others that if you're pursuing this information and find some 'sweep' forums that trying to sign up seems to be basically a giant waste of time.

I know some have replied here and given some basic info. But to say that the 'basic' gear is easily research able is just false.

Anyone have information on specific cleaning manuals or reference materials?
Brand specific gear to look into or avoid?
Vacuums that work or that are to be avoided?
Cameras ?
Rods?
Brushes?
Brands?
Suppliers?

On and on. I get that no one wants an online reference available to quick start potential competitors but the amount of politics and secretiveness that I've found in the world of chimney sweeps is disheartening.

On and on. I get that no one wants an online reference available to quick start potential competitors but the amount of politics and secretiveness that I've found in the world of chimney sweeps is disheartening.
do you have a local guild? I know in the pa guild we regularly accept newbies and invite them to conventions workshops classes ect as well as giving them contact info for members. I have never run across any secretiveness But i also grew up in the business.

No local guild that I could find other than wettBC where I will get some info/manuals once I sign up for the courses. My frustration again wasn't pointed at anyone here. I am probably just feeling anxious as I can't sign up for those courses until probably the end of the month due to waiting on the outcome of a personal issue that has me rather stressed. I feel like my life has been put on hold momentarily.

I should just take a deep breath and relax but obviously I don't have much patience or deal with stress well. Lol.

I'm sure it will all work out, I'm just anxious to sink my teeth into it.

I will add that the issue I need to square away isn't health related, I don't want anyone to think that. Myself and my family are healthy and happy and I'm thankful for that.

My frustration really was more with finding a few different online sweep 'forums' but not being able to sign up to them at all because of having no experience. Also not even being able to read any of the topics as a non-member. That is frustrating and seemingly unnecessarily secretive. Most industries I've been involved in so far online atleast people have been very forthcoming with sharing their knowledge. The info was readily available and you could make it or break it on your own ability/motivation.

I was really hoping to be able to research atleast the gear a lot ahead of my courses so that afterwards if I felt confident moving forward I'd know what specific tools and brands I would be investing in. Espescially as a Canadian purchasing gear to try out and learn which brands/models/retailers are better than others can be a very costly affair.

I'll find out more and more though as I keep poking around. I just need to learn some patience.

Well I just pulled the pin on registering for courses at the end of March. Eight days of 9hrs of classroom and expected evening study. Also a lot of studying of manuals and code ahead of time. Part of why I'm registering early so I can receive the course materials and get to studying.

I have been trying to research tools and equipment but there's such a variety that I think I'll do best to pick up as much as I can at the courses about what the commonly used tools and suppliers are locally.

I will still say that I find sweeps to be quite secretive online and I'm somewhat surprised in the non-existence of any active sort of forum that I could find that was open to the public.

No worries though I'm feeling positive that I'll be able to equip myself and proceed with basic sweeping after completing the courses in the spring.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
No worries though I'm feeling positive that I'll be able to equip myself and proceed with basic sweeping after completing the courses in the spring.
Good luck to you. The basic sweeping really is not hard most of the time.

Maybe theyre in cahoots with the Masons....

I'm sure like any trade, the bulk of the work is easy and can be done by anyone with some common sense, it's when the unexpected or difficult things come along that those who can get weeded out from those who cant.

I'm sure like any trade, the bulk of the work is easy and can be done by anyone with some common sense, it's when the unexpected or difficult things come along that those who can get weeded out from those who cant.
Exactly. And the only way to learn that is with experience.

I hear that. And I figure courses will give me a small base of knowledge to start with. I know myself well enough to know that if I'm confronted with something outside of my comfort/experience level that I will either learn the proper way to deal with it or refer the work to someone with more knowledge. I'm not one to fake it, and would never want to put someone in harms way. I just hope to learn enough at these initial courses to be able to proceed with basic cleanings safely.

I'm pretty eager to get my hands on the course materials. And that is putting it mildly!