Chimney cleaning info.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've been a chimneysweep in BC for about 5 years. I got most of my starting information from the lindemann chimney catalog, you can call them for a free one. Attending the WETTBC classes caused me to switch to a rotary powersweeping set-up and I'd never go back to hand brushes, they get stuck too often.

Reactions: Squisher
Thank-you for that information.

So did the classes seem worthwhile to you then?

Also if I might ask this lindemann supply is that where you've ordered from?

Trying to source where is the best place for a Canadian to purchase from. The way our dollar is its looking pretty bleak.

Last edited:
The class was held in a conference room at Concorde Distributing (888) 287-3333 in Abbortsford. They'll sell to you through your local fireplace retail store, you can catalogs and pricelists from them. A.W. Perkins is their chimneysweep supplier (www.awperkins.com). Minimum requirements:
•super scrub power sweeping whip for light sweeping
•chain whip tool for heavy creosote removal
•30-40' black poly Buttonflex rods
• truck/van with ladders
•common hand tools and a good drill
•shop Vac

I'm not able to comment on whether the classes were worthwhile or not. I will mention that there's a lot of regulatory information and not much discussion of techniques.

Excellent. Thanks again for this info.

My transportation is good 4x4 longbox. I'm collecting quote on contractors canopies currently and am scouring classifieds for a used one. I also plan to use a bedslide for access in the box. A van seems like it would be not so useful here in the winter 4wheel is a must imo for my climate.

I'm hoping that I'll possibly be able to get some info on techniques out of the courses. Did you take the 2day sweeping course as well?

I did. As I said, there's a lot of info on the building codes and WETT regulations. As for chimneysweeping technique, each chimney is unique and has its own set of complications, but at its simplest, you're standing on the roof or a ladder with your drill and feeding your powerbrush down into the chimney one rod-section at a time. A powerbrush is quite useful for going UP the chimney if access is an issue.

Yah a power sweeping setup seems like it's going to be the way to go. I have homeowner rods and brushes currently and I have three chimneys(two for the house and one for the shop) that I have no issue cleaning. But obviously the big unknown is how each chimney is different and being tooled up to deal with whatever type of set-up comes your way.

Did you apprentice under an experienced sweep or did you just launch into it like it looks like I'm going to be doing?

Yah a power sweeping setup seems like it's going to be the way to go. I have homeowner rods and brushes currently and I have three chimneys(two for the house and one for the shop) that I have no issue cleaning. But obviously the big unknown is how each chimney is different and being tooled up to deal with whatever type of set-up comes your way.
I would say power sweeping is what i do more often than not but i do think that a set of brushes is needed also. You will quickly find the need for a camera also. And the vacuum honestly is the most important part of it all get a good one not just a shop vac.

Yah I'm not wanting to cut any corners on equipment. I've prepared myself mentally and financially for the outlay. I have zero issues shelling out for top gear. I've seen a couple high end brands of vacuums on online suppliers, is there a particular brand you might recommend as being better than the others?

Also in what I've researched so far I plan to start out with a camera. Seems it would be invaluable and Espescially to someone green like myself so I can actually see what's happening inside if I'm in doubt.

Reactions: bholler
We use the largest soot master but there are other good ones out there also

Well I may have a chance to pick up a sootweeperII second hand. I'm a little cautious of secondhand but the terrible exchange rate can't be ignored right now. With the exchange it puts the price of the used one well under half and it also includes a second vacuum of unknown make as well as some rods and brushes. So I think it's worth looking at?

In researching a vacuum like the sootsweeper it mentions that it's basically for keeping the air clean not, for vacuuming up ash and debris? This seems somewhat confusing, so I would still be sourcing a second 'ash' vacuum for the larger bits?

Thanks for any and all advice. I'm having a lot of fun with this so far. I'm anticipating getting my manuals any day for the courses and am in the process of bed lining and sealing my new(to me) canopy onto my truck. Bedslide and roof racks are ordered and I should be able to pick them up next week. I think this will be a pretty slick set-up by the time I'm done.

Still greatly confused by all the tool/gear options but I'm starting to kind of get an idea of things.

In researching a vacuum like the sootsweeper it mentions that it's basically for keeping the air clean not, for vacuuming up ash and debris? This seems somewhat confusing, so I would still be sourcing a second 'ash' vacuum for the larger bits?
Well what soot sweeper is it? While yes it is mainly used for dust control it is also used to suck up the last of the ash that cant be picked up with a shovel and brush. You could do it all with the vac but the bags are not that cheap so you want to save then when possible. Typically we run a whole day on one bag.

August West Sootsweeper II is the model. In pictures it looks just the same as the new ones. I've contacted the seller but they've yet to contact me back so it could be a dead end anyways.

Thanks for the info.

I have never used the soot sweeper so i cant really comment on that we use the soot master. But the soot sweeper is supposedly a good vac i get the 2 confused all the time.

Yah me too. I feel like I've been able to get a handle on some of the basic equipment now. Again mostly researching that aspect and probably for the good next little while too as I want to have a real grasp on the differences between equipment so I can make atleast a hallways informed decision when it comes time to buy.

Cameras are another real varied one. There's been such an explosion in technology it seems there's a lot of variation in price and I would assume quality.

Yeah allot of the stuff on some of the newer stuff is not necessary. We still have an almost 10 year old chim-scan that still works fine. It is not as small as others and it is not power adjustable. So it is not quite as easy to use but it works. I haven't priced a new one out in quite a while so i don't know how much of an up charge that stuff is. But you dont have to go absolute top of the line with a camera. just get one from a reputable company so you know there will be support for it down the road.

It looks as if the AW Perkins line of sweep products is going to be the most accessible to me here in BC. Thanks to Tiptopper for turning me onto a local distributor.

They carry the rovac line of vacuums and also have their own rovac camera system.

The pricing looks much better than trying to order from the U.S.A for me and also it would seem that somewhat local supplier support could prove invaluable.

We get some stuff from them they seem pretty good.

Well honestly I'm considering learning the trade and going into business for myself.

Don't laugh, I'm not 18. I'm 41 and have logged for nearly 12 years and then built my own residential tree service business over a 10 year period that I sold this last summer. So I know a bit about hard work, business, and working in a vertical environment. When I started my tree service business I was a logger, now I am a certified arborist and produced the highest quality of tree care available locally. So I can learn things.

I have cleaned my own chimney as a clay lined chimney but have yet to clean the SS insert that I just installed with my new stove this fall. I have hired locally available services as well and been underwhelmed with the work and the responsiveness, like even returning a call. The last fellow I hired to do it didn't re-install the screws in my stovepipe and when I questioned him about it he told me I didn't need them.

So I've been seriously thinking about coming in green. There are a week to ten days of industry recognizing courses happening near me in the early spring and I'm wanting to emerge myself as much as possible before then. Start sweeping I'm thinking, gain certifications/experience to be able to move onto repairs and installs.

I've always followed my interests/passions.
Good for you! Best of luck to you.:) I say go for it.

Well thanks for the encouragement. I'm eager to get going on things as far as getting set up and whatnot. I've made a few good connections and things look fairly promising. I feel like Santa. Making a list and checking it twice. Lol.

So back with another question. What type of roof ladders are people using? When looking into this it seems that many different combinations of high quality sectional roof ladders are readily available overseas but in North America they aren't sold. I'm not asking about a simple extension ladder with a standoff or whatnot to get you over the eaves but from there what are people using to reach the ridge if it's a steep roof? Any clues/links to North American suppliers,would be appreciated.

I'm continuing on the refurbishing of my truck for my sweeping business, I've received my WETT manual and code book and having been studying up, and I've ordered most of my essential kit. So well underway.

Just a section of a light weight extension ladder and a ridge hook on the end. And i have never used a standoff they are heavy awkward and unnecessary

Thanks. So what if you're going up on a gutter section? How do you protect the gutter? Seems like many gutters nowadays can be dented by just looking at them?

Reactions: bholler
I always try to avoid gutters but otherwise just do it gently when you get up there i drop a cloth between the gutter and ladder. I used a ladder with standoffs on once and never will again.

Ok. Good to know on the standoffs as I've never used a ladder with them but the idea of them made sense to me. I'm probably overthinking it but I want to have my basic gear together so I'm able to access everything I can.