Chimney cleaning info.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Good thread.
I'm going to do mine for sure. It's 6" and straight from the cap to the firebox.
One story and only a 30 degree gable. Sill there is information I too, need to absorb
for a thorough job to keep flow and safety high. Saving cash is important. Saving my
family is more importanter.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeap

So I've finished up 8 days of courses here with WETT. Really worthwhile training.

I've outfitted myself almost completely now with some top gear, and set up a really slick sweep setup with a pickup and I'm about ready to hang my shingle out.

I've got a roof up chimney rebuild to do still, and I'll update my other thread as I attack that now. I put it off until after my courses and I'm glad I did, there were a few chimney masons in my courses and I learned a lot about masonry chimneys over the last couple of weeks so I feel better prepared to tackle that project now.

So I've finished up 8 days of courses here with WETT. Really worthwhile training.

I've outfitted myself almost completely now with some top gear, and set up a really slick sweep setup with a pickup and I'm about ready to hang my shingle out.

I've got a roof up chimney rebuild to do still, and I'll update my other thread as I attack that now. I put it off until after my courses and I'm glad I did, there were a few chimney masons in my courses and I learned a lot about masonry chimneys over the last couple of weeks so I feel better prepared to tackle that project now.
Good luck to you. If you have questions along the way i will help any way I can either in your rebuild or professionally.

Reactions: Squisher
Thanks for that. I'm sure I'll have some questions along the way but having just studied the codes, construction, maintenance of masonry chimneys hopefully they'll at least be halfways intelligent ones.

Thanks for that. I'm sure I'll have some questions along the way but having just studied the codes, construction, maintenance of masonry chimneys hopefully they'll at least be halfways intelligent ones.
Even the best of us have plenty of stupid questions at times.

So I have been sweeping up a storm. I am really enjoying the work so far. I find the work challenging at times, but am really taking great pride in doing a thorough and complete job. I make certain to never ignore something because it's hard to access or ever leave anything in question. I'm booking out a couple weeks right now and averaging about 2-5 chimneys a day depending on the day. I am looking forward to getting my 80 weeks in so my WETT certification can come through.

Thanks again for everyone's encouragement and help.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm booking out a couple weeks right now and averaging about 2-5 chimneys a day depending on the day.
Good for you I am glad it is working out well for you so far. Keep at it but a couple weeks out for your first cleaning season is pretty good. And 2 to 5 a day for one guy is pretty good to. We do 6 to 8 a day with 2 guys. We just scheduled the last week of dec with some slots open for emergencies and a couple days empty for liners that come up that need to get done for people.

Thanks. Yah I've done some online advertising that has worked out well. That and one of my main competitors has either closed up shop or is playing really hard to get. Over my first few weeks it was a bit spotty, but as I started to get a feel for it, the business has been more steadily coming in. I'm quite pleased with the demand for my first full time fall/winter of it. I'm guessing I'll slow up some after the fall rush is over.

Five chimneys in five different homes has been my most so far in a single day. And yah, that makes a full day. Especially because two of them were stoves into masonry chimneys where the clean outs had been previously neglected. Nothing beats being in a crawl space cleaning out years and years of chimney scrubbings and petrified birds. Lol.

Neglected smoke shells in masonry fireplaces are another pet peeve of mine. But, while I don't believe in badmouthing the competition, when you can show them what's been left behind in the past it helps to make for a customer for life I think.

I really enjoy being in business for myself. Yesterday my last chimney for the week was for a seventy plus year old lady who's husband had recently left her for another woman and who was dealing with things on her own for the first time and having lots of trouble/anxiety with it. I cleaned her insert and her stove and then lit her insert for/with her and built her a nice fire, explaining proper burning and all about the functioning of her appliances, then we visited her woodpile and I gave her some more pointers. I really enjoy being able to take the time when I want to.

Neglected smoke shells in masonry fireplaces are another pet peeve of mine. But, while I don't believe in badmouthing the competition, when you can show them what's been left behind in the past it helps to make for a customer for life I think.
Yes that is a good strategy. Don't badmouth them but let their work versus yours stand on its own.

I really enjoy being in business for myself. Yesterday my last chimney for the week was for a seventy plus year old lady who's husband had recently left her for another woman and who was dealing with things on her own for the first time and having lots of trouble/anxiety with it. I cleaned her insert and her stove and then lit her insert for/with her and built her a nice fire, explaining proper burning and all about the functioning of her appliances, then we visited her woodpile and I gave her some more pointers. I really enjoy being able to take the time when I want to.
Yeah it feels good to help people when they really need it.

Congrats on the successful transition Squisher. It's great to be independent and have much needed skills.

Time to update your occupation in the user info. You are an official sweep now.

Thanks.

I've updated it now. I really enjoy the work. I have been recommending hearth.com to people that want to seek out more info, this place is a great resource for any wood burner imo. Sometimes I find it tough to educate people about burning or even more importantly seasoning/storing their wood. I'm amazed that so many people just think wood is wood. Chop that tree down, buck it up and throw it in the stove. As we all know here, that's not a solid plan especially with today's efficient stoves. I feel like a moisture meter and thermometer salesman some days. Lol.

Thanks.

I've updated it now. I really enjoy the work. I have been recommending hearth.com to people that want to seek out more info, this place is a great resource for any wood burner imo. Sometimes I find it tough to educate people about burning or even more importantly seasoning/storing their wood. I'm amazed that so many people just think wood is wood. Chop that tree down, buck it up and throw it in the stove. As we all know here, that's not a solid plan especially with today's efficient stoves. I feel like a moisture meter and thermometer salesman some days. Lol.
It wouldn't hurt to have a supply of thermometers and MM in stock.

That is an excellent idea. I'm hoping to hear back from my supplier on some costs. I think they'd be a real easy up sell.

I've been holding off until I've operated for a bit to try and decide what 'extra' items to have on hand. But MM and thermometers are seeming like a no brainer.

I've been holding off until I've operated for a bit to try and decide what 'extra' items to have on hand. But MM and thermometers are seeming like a no brainer.

We give thermometers to any customers who dont have one.

Give! Mighty generous of you. But the businessman in me says up sell. Unless I can source them really inexpensively I suppose?

Last edited by a moderator:
Give! Mighty generous of you. But the businessman in me says up sell. Unless I can source them really inexpensively I suppose?
Well the cost is built into the first time inspection and cleaning price so it is really not giving it to them it just is not on the bill.

Well the cost is built into the first time inspection and cleaning price so it is really not giving it to them it just is not on the bill.
Do folks that need a thermometer pay a higher first time inspection fee than those that don't?

Got lucky on my first sweep/ scrub. There was barely a layer of soot and the shine could be seen
in places. Small layer of flakes at the top 4" which brushed loose by hand.
My brush arrived n' made a pole system from one of those fiberglass tent poles
that are connected in sections. Each joint is connected into a single rod and the brush bolted to the
end. Single piece and only works from the top but reaches the box.

Threw a shine on it just to stay safe. This is close to the end of my learning curve as I'm not going into
sweeping (but an excellent side job idea) and am just going to keep it clean to begin with.

Do folks that need a thermometer pay a higher first time inspection fee than those that don't?
no we add in a couple bucks to each initial inspection fee for it and it evens out for us. That pays for thermometers caulk screws ect that are normal stuff we use on first time inspections.

Hello all.

Some may have been wondering where I got off to. But I had to take a bit of a hiatus from the forum, was getting to caught up in the 'best stove' debates.

Anyways, I'm back now so look out BK owners lol.

I've been cleaning, learning and now moving into repairing and inspecting. I am now a WETT certified sweep and inspector(no longer a 'qualified student'). So that is quite a feather in my cap.

My business continues to grow and grow. I've been very thankful to be getting lots of work. My previous business experience is really paying off and the futures looks bright, despite spending a lot of time staring into dark holes. Lol.

Anyways. I hope everyone's well and been having a great time. Gonna poke around and see what I've missed and what sort of trouble I can stir up. >> Jk'ing.

Reactions: begreen and bholler
Congratulations and welcome back! Hope all is well in your area too. Are you badly affected by the wildfires? They have seriously decreased air quality down here.

Yes our air quality is abyssmal. Everything smells like smoke, it's super thick for ages now it seems. Luckily I haven't been directly affected other than the smoke. So far. A truly tragic amount of land has been scorched in BC this year and I know things have been terrible south of the border too.

Scary thing is that the fire season will go on for another couple months. Things are tinder dry down here. No measurable rain for 52 days now, which has broken the all time record.

Same as up here. We just had the driest July ever in my area too with no measurable precipitation.

The only plus I can find to the smoke is it blocks the sun quite a bit and is knocking the temp down a little from upper 90's to upper 80's. But it is still hot. I was up on a roof this morning thinking 'oh it won't be to bad'. Soaked enough by the time I got down the customer(bless her soul) was offering up a glass of ice water.

Fire is a big time worry here and unfortunately some people just don't get it and are still carelessly having campfires and discarding butts out the window. Blows my mind really.