Chimney Cleaning question from a newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBBaron

Feb 8, 2008
Cleveland
I am a wood burning newbie. We are having a Quad Yosemite stove installed in a masonry fireplace next week. The installation includes a 6" stainless steel liner.
I would like to clean the chimney myself to save the costs of a yearly cleaning. However I'm not sure if there is an easy way for me to do this. We have a 2 story tudor style house with a moderately steep slate roof. The house has a hip roof and the chimney is interior so not near the edges. I do not feel safe climbing on the roof myself so I would have to do a bottom up cleaning. Can I push a brush up over 2 1/2 stories using fiberglass rods like sold on the ACE website?
The stove will actually sit inside the fireplace so I will have to disconnect the liner and pull out the stove to access the bottom of the chimney. Are there any suggestions to make this process easier?

Thanks for your help. I really looking forward to having wood burning warmth in the house.

Craig

That's a long way to push a brush and what happens if it gets stuck? You also need to check your cap. I clean my own, but mine is a lot easier than yours. I recommed you have a chimney sweep do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.