Chimney cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

syd3006

Jan 20, 2008
Northwestern Ontario
I am new to stove maintenance, chimney cleaning etc. and I am wondering if there is a way to clean my chimney without taking it apart. I bought a brush and the flexible rods, the total length to be cleaned is about 13', it is a straight pipe but here lies the problem. My new "Century Hearth" stove has a baffle between the flue pipe and the firebox that would prevent the creosote from falling into the stove, it looks like it would just build up on the baffle with no way to get it out. Cleaning from the bottom looks to be out of the question with that baffle in the way so I will have to clean from above. I guess if I have to take the chimney apart I will but it could be a problem lining up all the screw holes again not to mention the potential for mess in the house. Anyone have a suggestion?

my dutchwest has the same thing. The top comes off exposing the top of the firebox and acess to the air passags which have to be cleaned a couple times a year and the creosote the falls out of the chimney can be removed also. check your owners manuel, there I would be very surprised if there isnt a way to address the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.