Chimney cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhof0306

Aug 1, 2008
Southwest NH
Howdy -

I cleaned my chimney yesterday for the first time since starting to burn this past fall. I was starting to get paranoid because I exhausted my supply of kiln dried wood earlier than I expected and started burning the other "not so well-seasoned" stuff. I was a bit surprised at how well the wood was burning. I figured I'd be struggling with it and not getting as much heat out of it. well, I cleaned the chimney yesterday - I have a through-the-wall setup with a metal bestos chimney. The cleanout is about 6 feet above the ground, so I cleaned it from the ground. Most of what came out was already in the plug - about 1 cup of "coffee grounds". I looked up the chimney with a flashlight, and most of the way up it was just very lightly coated with a light brown residue. Toward the top it was a bit thicker and darker. I ran the brush up and hardly anything came out until I got to the top, then really just a bit of fine soot fell out. I rapped the bottom of the cap a few times (REALLY glad I didn't knock the cap off, since I don't have a ladder and can think of few things I like to do less than walking around on an icy roof...). All in all, I was very pleased with the result.

I did have a question, though. My chimney is 6", so I bought the 6" wire brush. Is this how you would want to size it? They had a 7" brush, and I wondered if I should buy the slightly larger brush to get better contact with the wall. The box said using a too-large brush will not clean the chimney any better, and could get lodged in the chimney. So I went with the 6".

I'm new also and I was told that for my SS flex liner, I should use a poly brush and that metal brushes are for clay liner chimneys. I am still waiting to here from my liner mfg. for the correct brush type and size. I am finding out that there are some types of cleaning sprays that you can spray inside the liner and wait a day or so and then brush it. I'm learning every day.

Johnny B. said:
Howdy -

I cleaned my chimney yesterday for the first time since starting to burn this past fall. I was starting to get paranoid because I exhausted my supply of kiln dried wood earlier than I expected and started burning the other "not so well-seasoned" stuff. I was a bit surprised at how well the wood was burning. I figured I'd be struggling with it and not getting as much heat out of it. well, I cleaned the chimney yesterday - I have a through-the-wall setup with a metal bestos chimney. The cleanout is about 6 feet above the ground, so I cleaned it from the ground. Most of what came out was already in the plug - about 1 cup of "coffee grounds". I looked up the chimney with a flashlight, and most of the way up it was just very lightly coated with a light brown residue. Toward the top it was a bit thicker and darker. I ran the brush up and hardly anything came out until I got to the top, then really just a bit of fine soot fell out. I rapped the bottom of the cap a few times (REALLY glad I didn't knock the cap off, since I don't have a ladder and can think of few things I like to do less than walking around on an icy roof...). All in all, I was very pleased with the result.

I did have a question, though. My chimney is 6", so I bought the 6" wire brush. Is this how you would want to size it? They had a 7" brush, and I wondered if I should buy the slightly larger brush to get better contact with the wall. The box said using a too-large brush will not clean the chimney any better, and could get lodged in the chimney. So I went with the 6".

Well I'm no expert and I didn't sleep at Holiday Inn Express last night, but from the sound of it you're doing well enough . . . and yes . . . size the brush to the flue. Some folks have reported some issues with some sized brushes needing a trim, but I don't believe I've read of many (if any) folks who have gone a size larger -- seems to me it would make for some pretty hard going.

I finally got enough guts to clean my 6 inch stainless steel liner last fall. I spoke with a well respected sweep who told me it didnt take alot of friction to clean the corn flakes out of the liner. He told me to go slow and make sure that I could pull it back out if I was afraid that the brush would get stuck in the liner. I trimmed just a small amount of the brush because it was getting rather difficult to pull it out of the liner.

This was my first time doing this and I felt good that I did it myself.
Push twist and turn worked really nice.
I hope the FD doesnt ever have to come out on a fire. I was on the department for many years... Jim

Yes, for a 6" flue, get a 6" brush.

There is a difference of opinion on which brush should be used in a SS chimney. The way it was explained to me by knowledgeable professionals is that you can use a steel wire brush in a SS chimney and will get along fine for many years. However, they also said that those are the only chimneys they've had to replace. Usually between 15 and 20 years. With people who use a poly brush, they have never had a problem.

So, use what you want. As for me, for less than $20 I bought a new poly brush and gave my wire brush away.

Backwoods Savage said:
you can use a steel wire brush in a SS chimney and will get along fine for many years. However, they also said that those are the only chimneys they've had to replace. Usually between 15 and 20 years. With people who use a poly brush, they have never had a problem. .

And of course, the counter claim; I just had the sweeps out for a chimney inspection because it's well over thirty years old. I've been here 15 years and use the former owners steel brush. No problemos.

Status
Not open for further replies.