Chimney cleaning questions...Im trying it myself this spring...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dtabor

Feb 8, 2007
Lake Elmore, VT
OK, so I have an 8" flue, it comes off the stove collar to a T then straight up to the roof and a spark screen cap. At the T there is the cap I can remove for cleanout......

First, Ive seen it on here but cant seem to find it, when buying my brush/rods etc, what is the best material?

If I clean from the roof down, how do I go about opening that bottom cap to empty whatever I brush off? Do you run some sort of shop vac as you open it to get the dust before it scatters about the room?

Any other tips or things I should know before I dig into it? I have awhile, we're back to winter apparently here so Im burning again!

Thanks all in advance!

D

lots of threads on this, I would search for one

If your chimney is stainless get a poly brush. The tee cap should be secured with a couple screws or a locking band depending on the brand of chimney. When I used to clean chimneys I would remove the tee cap prior to sweeping and duct tape a garbage bag over the opening and then the soot just falls in. Be careful not to push the brush too far or you'll perforate the bag and have a mess.

I have a SS chimney, called my dealer that installed it, asked if I should use a poly brush, he siad no and that he would recomend a steel one!

I also asked a dealer (actually 3 of them) about the SS chimney and using the steel brush. Every one said the same. Those who used a regular steel brush would be replacing their chimney from 10-15 years down the road. Use a poly brush and you probably would never have to replace the chimney. I bought a poly brush. Still haven't used the thing as this stove just burns so clean that the chimney does not need cleaning after using it the whole winter. I was afraid of the cat. stove at first; now I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.