Chimney Cleaning Rods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steamer

Jul 15, 2008
Southern Vt
I have found on line 5 foot pro-flex cleaning rods that bend 90 degrees in order to clean my flue from the basement through the clean out.
My tile liner is 8 inch round. The run up to the top is 33 feet to clear the top tile. I called the company and the owner cleans chimneys for his trade. He told me that the rods will flex but are stiff enough to push a brush all the way up the flue. He says having an 8 inch round will help if the rods do flex they will not be able to flex to much laterally. Has anyone used this method and please let me know your thoughts on how you think this will work. My roof is a cape with a 12/12 pitch so it is really high so I am trying to avoid the ladder on the roof routine.
Thanks in advance
Steamer

I have a set of the 5 foot pro-flex rods (7/8" diameter). While they are flexible I'm not sure they will be able to flex to the radius you need them to and still be able to push them. I haven't tried something like that personally.

I see no reason it would not work. Inside the chimney, when they flex, they can only flex to the edge of the flue, then the energy applied must go up.

Status
Not open for further replies.