Chimney Cleaning Sticks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rgsccr

Aug 29, 2008
Seattle
I bought a couple of these at Lowe's made by Imperial. Does anyone know if they work? If so, how often should something like this be used?I am not concerned about my chimney at this point as my wood stove installation is only a month old and hasn't been used that much yet. Thanks.

I was also at Lowe's and purchased the log designed for the same purpose. $14 I think. I have yet to use it, but will post the results when I do. I will try to get before and after pictures.

Yep, Pook...er....Sawdustburner is telling the truth. Those things also help in changing the black, gooey, flammable stuff, into the hard, crumbly, not so flammable stuff. Note that I said "help". These are not a replacement for a mechanical brushing, but may actually improve the performance of mechanical brushing. Dry and crumbly is easier to brush than the gooey stuff is.

August, 2004

A Federal Court recently found that the claims by the manufacturer of the "Supersweep" product that the logs removed creosote were false and that the name "Supersweep" was misleading. The Court's order expressly bars the manufacturer from future use of any of the following claims in connection with their fire log product:

"helps eliminate dangerous creosote in the chimney"

"helps prevent chimney fire"

"aid in the loosening and breaking away of hard, scaly or glazed creosote deposits"

"lowers the combustion point of the creosote and soot deposits in a chimney flue by up to 500 degrees F"

As a result of this ruling, the manufacturer may no longer call the product a "chimney cleaning log."

Source: Alternative Energy Retailer Magazine

Hey Tom - would this hold true for the other products on the market??? I just wonder if this was specific to that MFG. Kinda like a snake oil cure verses something that MAY work.

Jags, I wish I knew the answer to that question. I've seen three consumer products actually work to break down glaze: ACS, Cre-Away and TSR. I was off the ladder by the time the logs came along, so have not personally viewed any results (or lack of same) from the "log and stick" products.

One thing does make me suspicious: the three chemicals I've seen work all need to be reapplied daily for days and even weeks to break down the glaze, while the logs & sticks are a one-shot deal: any chemicals that are deposited on the glaze during the one fire are all you get.

thechimneysweep said:
Jags, I wish I knew the answer to that question. I've seen three consumer products actually work to break down glaze: ACS, Cre-Away and TSR. I was off the ladder by the time the logs came along, so have not personally viewed any results (or lack of same) from the "log and stick" products.

One thing does make me suspicious: the three chemicals I've seen work all need to be reapplied daily for days and even weeks to break down the glaze, while the logs & sticks are a one-shot deal: any chemicals that are deposited on the glaze during the one fire are all you get.

Good stuff to know. Thanks Tom.

I believe the directions are on the sticks.
One a week for a month & then one once a month? Something like that, I don't recall.
Its supposed to make the glazed stuff flaky.

Forget the sticks. For five bucks I get a bottle of powder that lasts me all winter. It's about the size of a large vitamin bottle. The stove dealer sells it (can't remember the brand) and you sprinkle a little on a hot fire every week. No glaze in my stack only very loose flakes. I can hear it fall when I open and close the damper.

lol I used to be able to hear the same when i burned the older stoves and I never used any additives. Just burn good wood and burn it hot and you will have no problems with chimney gunk...

Status
Not open for further replies.