Chimney cleaning "stuff"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK 2 gallons seems like a lot, I agree. But in comparison of just the 2 chimneys. Jharkin states that he has a 18' tall chimney. Using the fact that 8" dia are common. 2*pi*4=25 sq in. Then 12*18=216 in. Doing the math that comes out to 5400 sq in of chimney area. While Will has a 6"x11" chimney at a height of 32 feet. The 6x11 chimney has 6+6+11+11=34, 32'*12"=384" so 34*384= 13056 sq in of surface area. This is 2.4 times as much surface area to build up on. Also the it will take longer to heat the flue up to operational temps. While I totally agree that 2 gallons is a lot, I understand where it may come from.

Full disclosure:
Ive got 18ft of insulated 6in liner inside an interior masonry chimney. And I burned less than 2 cord since the last clean. So maybe that's why I get so little.

Status
Not open for further replies.