Chimney cleaning supplies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry folks, I still can't figure out why the search function doesn't work on my computer. In any case, being a newbie, I'm wondering what tools I will need to clean out my 6" metalbestos chimney?

I see there are brushes, also a device that looks like a propeller made of a thin cable, then there are chemicals used to remove cresote, etc, etc, etc.

I'd like to be able to clean my own chimney and possibly have it checked professionaly only every 2-3 years. It does not seem like an impossible task for a homeowner with the proper tools and knowledge. Obviously a professional brings experience and expertise, I just don't want to have to pay a pro on an annual basis.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

-Kevin

****************** lost post bump ******************

I use the 6" poly brush and six 3' fiberglass poles to clean the chimney ( stright shot ) I dont know much about the other style , we do have users that are "sweeps" that could full in the information.

I use a 6" round poly brush, and 2 30 ft lengths of ski rope.

drop a bolt down the flu tied to the rope, then tie the end to the brush, and shove the brush into the top of the flu.

go into house, pull it all the way down.

back onto roof, pull it back up.

it takes me 20 minutes from start to finish, and thats counting getting the 24' extension ladder out too.

Brush was $14 locally, and then $4 more for the little eyelet to attatch the rope to the other end of it.

$5 worth of yellow poly rope from walmart.

Good idea with the ropes, Ozark. Here's a post of mine from another forum:

Just cleaned my chimney for the first time, and it was quite easy, once I got the bugs out. Thought I'd pass on what I learned.

Last year I asked the chimney sweep how to do it. He told me: "Sweep the brush down the flue (metal), and scoop out the creosote that will land here (on the smoke shelf)." On my system, the top of the chimney is easily accessible, and the design of my woodstove-like fireplace lends itself to easy cleaning (for some you have to do some disassembly).

I kept my eye out at garage sales and finally found a chimney brush (new) for $1. Next I had to get the interconnecting rods. Those cost $5 each, and I'd need 5 for the 20 foot length of my chimney. So instead, I got two 12 foot lengths of PVC pipe, along with the appropriate fittings to be able to glue everything together. Total cost incl brush: $8.68.

Next, it was up to the rooftop. I found that the chimney cap (spark arrestor) just popped off, and I was ready to go. I put the brush in and it immediately got stuck. Not surprising, since the brush was for an 8" flue, and I had a 7" flue. It took a while to dig it out.

So at that point I could have gotten in the car and driven 25 miles to the hardware store and purchased a 7" brush for $22. But instead, I reasoned that it would be faster and cheaper to cut one half inch off of all the (500) bristles (they were plastic). I taped a little guide on my wire cutters and about 45 tedious minutes later I was ready to go back up on the roof.

The brush was still a tight fit, but it worked.

At this point I simply pushed the brush down through the chimney. When it got half way down, I screwed on the second PVC pipe and pushed it the rest of the way. Each time I'd pass the connections between different sections of flue it would make a different noise.

I had DW in the living room with a walkie-talkie to tell me whether any dust was coming out, but there was none.

Finally I felt it pass out the bottom of the flue. I then pulled it back up. I did this twice. The part of the flue that I could see was 100% clean, so I decided that was enough, and cleaned off the cap and put it back on.

Down in the living room I scooped out the creosote that had accumulated on the smoke shelf. This involved reaching in there with a trowel, and putting the creosote into a paper bag for the compost. This was less messy than expected, though I'd recommend a dust mask.

I cleaned up and put things away. That was all there was to it.

I figure I'll do this each year, but every third year have a chimney sweep inspect it.

Attachments

• Brush.jpg
    Brush.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 548
  • Rods.jpg
    Rods.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 510
Status
Not open for further replies.