Chimney Cleaning - Thoughts on these flexible rods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gman1001

Jan 9, 2006
Sales
Any and all thoughts apreciated!

I want to clean my own chimney - I thought after the 1st year the equipment will pay for itself.

I have to clean from the bottom through a cleanout on the outside of my masonry (brick) chimney. The iron framed opening is about 6-8 inches square.

Do you guys think I can get these flex rods to go up the chimney? Are these on Northern Hydrolics rods a good option?

Your thoughts apreciated.

Tx,

Rods here: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_21892_21892

Yes they should work for you . There are different length rods from 3' - 6' ( mine are 3' X 5 rods ) They have a good amount of flex to them for going up from the bottom .

Just make sure that the rods fit the brush you're buying. There are two common attachment (screw) sizes IIRC, maybe more.

gman1001 said:
Any and all thoughts apreciated!

I want to clean my own chimney - I thought after the 1st year the equipment will pay for itself.

I have to clean from the bottom through a cleanout on the outside of my masonry (brick) chimney. The iron framed opening is about 6-8 inches square.

Do you guys think I can get these flex rods to go up the chimney? Are these on Northern Hydrolics rods a good option?

Your thoughts apreciated.

Tx,

Rods here: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_21892_21892

You can maybe find it cheaper local, for once northern tool looks expensive.
you can find 4' rods for about 6 bucks a section and most any hearth supply. and as metioned above, make shure the brush fits, the common residentian size us 1/4" NPT
There brush prices look the same as local shops too.

Roospike said:
Yes they should work for you . There are different length rods from 3' - 6' ( mine are 3' X 5 rods ) They have a good amount of flex to them for going up from the bottom .

And that flex can be a bad thing. I used them to clean the clay flues before putting the liners in and on the thirty foot one the darn things bowed out so much they couldn't push the new brush all of the way down. Had to do like the Pace Piquante Sauce commercial. "Get a rope."

The ones we use are fiberglass and 6 ft long and they work well. Ours does a bit of the weeble wobble but maybe with the shorter lengths 36" it could be stiffer..

Status
Not open for further replies.