Chimney cleaning today, Hmmmm.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Last time I cleaned the chimney was on dec 31st, about 5 weeks ago, and had about 1 cup of black shiny creosote flakes. Today I cleaned again, but the contents were different. Instead of black shiny stuff, I had about a cup of fluffy greyish/blackesh stuff. It petty much seemed only a bunch of fly ash. The only area of shiny flakes was the cap itself and thats it. Is this a clean chimney overall? Is this about what you all get with a clean burn?

Sounds like you a dialing it in better. Nice going.

lol.

When I swept my chimney, I barely got anything... maybe 1/4-1/2 of a cup. I was thinking to myself this was a waste of time.... Maybe I didn't do it right.
Then I took the sweep out of the bypass area of the stove (bottom up, soot eater), and a bunch of soot fell down... I stuck my hand up in the chimney connector area then I realized I had about 2 cups worth of soot sitting in the bypass part of the stove. I stuck my hand up there and brushed it all down. Boy, that could've been bad if I lit up a fire bypass open with all that soot sitting there! :D

Sounds good. Fly ash tends to be white. The brown stuff we always called soot. The black is what you don't want.

You are improving Young Grasshopper.

Status
Not open for further replies.