Chimney cleaning today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Well I got up on the roof today and did my first chimney cleaning with the new stove. Its been about 3 weeks running, with the first 2 weeks not running as good as I could have due to the learning process. There was alittle more junk (creosote?) In the chimney than I'm happy with. It was mainly a small to medium black flaky substance. The bigger stuff on the chimney cap. The only shiny browner stuff was also around the cap.

2011-12-31110716.gif

2011-12-31104313.gif

2011-12-31110638.gif

2011-12-31112245.gif

2011-12-31132154.gif

Hmmmm, not bad but seems a bit much for only 3 weeks. I just cleaned mine today. Last time I did it was middle of the winter last year and today I got as much as you have showing.

The only thing I can add is if it were me I would put some plywood under the feet of that step ladder. Would be a shame to poke a hole through that modified roofing of your mobile. How long has your wood been seasoning and what species would it be?

KodiakII said:
The only thing I can add is if it were me I would put some plywood under the feet of that step ladder. Would be a shame to poke a hole through that modified roofing of your mobile. How long has your wood been seasoning and what species would it be?

Thats something pen suggested, and I just plain forget. Anyway, the wood I have been burning thus far was standing dead, that was ok on the mm, the weight of the wood, ect, but like I told the miss'es, I think we may have mixed in some not so seasoned stuff in the first week. Also, we weren't getting very hot stove temps during the first two weeks due to having a bum stove top thermo. I don't know the wood species. I am almost through that stuff now anyway. The rest of the wood is many years seasoned ash and oak. I have 16 foot chimney, and it was the worst up top. I will clean it again, in a month and see if the changes we will make now will show a difference. If not then I'll probably be asking here for suggestions. I think there is a another problem, and I think it has been the first two weeks shutting the stove way too much too soon. We would get dark glass in the morning. The past week is when we have seen improvement.

I think your OK.

What you should do until you get use to your stove is simply clean your chimney once a month and let that period of time grow as you see better results from your learning curve with the stove and your wood quality.

Good luck,
Bill

In picture #2, the cap is off the insulated chimney pipe , but notice the exposed insulation is burned a bit. Is that ok?

Backwoods said:
In picture #2, the cap is off the insulated chimney pipe , but notice the exposed insulation is burned a bit. Is that ok?

Looks like creosote stain to me vs a burn.

Bill

That's about what mine looked like last year burning 1 year seasoned birch for 2 months..
This year , 2 year seasoned wood, I can tell it's drier, & I notice allot less (almost no ) creosote.
Yours isn't real bad but cleaning once a month is a good idea.
Hope you get some cold weather so you can burn hotter fires, that helps too.

Great pictures :)

Status
Not open for further replies.