Chimney cleaning update (sub-optimal wood + bio bricks)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfglickman

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2012
NW CT
Last year, from mid-winter on, we heated with our FV 201. We had bought "seasoned" wood that wasn't, and we had a little bit that was, plus a little score from someone who didn't want to burn anymore. But it was mostly sub-prime, wet wood and it was a struggle to get hot fires.

We supplemented with some bio bricks / envi bricks / eco logs, whatever I could pick up at TSC or the local stove store.

So today we had the chimney swept, so DH could see how it was done and what to look for etc.

We got a pile, maybe 3 cups or so, of black stuff out of the chimney. Not gooey, it was fairly fine, though some pieces were like large pieces of sand and shiny. I assume that's creosote. The sweep was quite impressed; said most people have A LOT more in their chimney, that we must've burned good hot fires.

He spent another few minutes admiring the FV (he installed it and was curious how it would work for us) before leaving.

Got a little fire going in there right now, plus the pellet stove its lowest setting, and enjoying being HOT in the house (72). When we heated with oil, we'd never, EVER set the thermostat over 65, and even that was a big treat for a cold, cold night.

:) Thanks so much to all of you on this forum for getting me through that first year! I'm sure I'll keep having questions and panic attacks now that we're into year 2. :)

ETA this is not a post recommending burning green wood! It's just to say that, if your wood is not perfect, listen to the people here on this forum, consider supplementing with pressed bricks, and you will get through it.

That is a good post Mary. Let's hope this year goes even better!

Reactions: mfglickman
Nice thread.

Glad we all could help, Mary.

Status
Not open for further replies.