Chimney Cleaning with Pictures.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We cleaned the Chimney for the first time since the install (April 09). We have burned 6 face cord of Cherry and 1 face cord of Maple. We have been using anti-creo soot spray when the fire gets going, all was fluffy ash and the most came from the top of the chimney. Picture 100 0383 and 100 0384 were taken before the cleaning and 100 0386 is from the cleaning. 100 0387 is the fluffy ash after the cleaning.

Is this to much or to be expected.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0383.jpg
    100_0383.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 406
  • 100_0384.jpg
    100_0384.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 408
  • 100_0386.jpg
    100_0386.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 396
  • 100_0387.jpg
    100_0387.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 355
Needs a dollar bill next to the last one to get a sense of scale.

Are the first 2 pictures before the cleaning or after? Doesn't look too bad to me. Looks about like mine at the end of the season last year. Did you use brushes? The pile looks about like what I got out of mine. I burned 4 cords of cherry and ash and other mixed hardwoods.

If that last photo is creosote amongst snow covered hills, then it is alot. If the other two are before cleaning, that looks pretty good for 7 face cords

Looks great, keep doing what your doing. There's no way around getting that light fluffy soot, it's the black sticky tar stuff or heavy flakey popcorn that you need to look out for.

I don't see anything that would get me excited. You are doing fine zap, except that is a lot of wood to have burned already!

Backwoods Savage said:
I don't see anything that would get me excited. You are doing fine zap, except that is a lot of wood to have burned already!

I would say 1 face cord was just getting use to and over enjoyment of our own first wood stove, the second face cord was keeping the house to hot when I didn't need to. I planned on 15 face cord with the basement install.

zap

Backwoods Savage said:

Just noticed the double post. Taken off.

zap

Looks great! Nothing to worry about there.

Status
Not open for further replies.