Chimney Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
ok, jsut got back from my local Ace hardware store, bought 16' of fiberglass/flexiable rod and a 6" steele round end brush the ydidnt have any 6" Poly brushes. I Have SS pre-fab chimney, can I still use the steel brush?? I hope so! This is my second year burning wood, and it will be my first time cleaning the chimney!

The supervent from lowes says no only poly, so it may void your warranty

OH Well, back to the store to swap the brush..

I jsut got off the phone with a professional installer. He stated that he prefers to use the vinyl brush for oil burners and steel brush for all woodstoves. Said usign a steel brush in a SS chimney is totally acceptable and preferable

What does the warrantee say? I can see how the wire would scratch it down faster...

mine doesnt say anything., thats why I have been having a problem deciding. The only thing it says is that you shouldnt get a brush of larger dia than the flue is..ie, I ahve 6" chimney pipe so dont get 7" brush etc

I would go with the steel.
Could a poly brush even come close to cleaning out the creosote build-up?
I use steel brush on my chimney.

So, is it safe or maybe safe?

Based on these thoghts, I think I'll get the nylon one.

I've yet to clean the 6 inch round as I was operating on the 8X12 before.

It should be interesting to see how much you get out of it when you do clean...

will be interesting. I can unscrew the bottom cap and look up, doesnt look all that bad.

Either is fine. My "steel" brush says right on the box, for clay or s.s. liners.
Don't we have this debate like once every other month?

Status
Not open for further replies.