Chimney Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HittinSteel

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Northeastern Ohio
I've been browsing some of the related topics on this subject and I have a few questions. A little background on my setup. I have a Napoleon 1400 stove with selkirk stainless piping. The pipe basically runs straight ( 1 45 bend I believe) from my living room, through the second floor and out the roof. The pipe is very high on my slanted roof, maybe 8 feet or so ( I believe this was done because of the 2' vertical and 10' horizontal specs contained in the manual). Obviously, because of the height I can't just pop the top off and look down the chimney or put a brush down it to clean and have no type of ladder that I would consider safe enough for me to stand on. Can my setup be cleaned from the bottom up somehow? Otherwise, I guess I will have to have a professional sweep out every time it needs inspected or cleaned. If I have to go the professional route, what is a reasonable price for a professional inspection and sweep if I plan on a long term relationship with the sweep?

Thanks,

Bryan

My problem is how do I get to the top of my chimney to get anything down it? Slanted roof and an 8 foot pipe. I figure a pro would have a special ladder of some kind.

Is the 8' of chimney above the roof all one piece, or is there a top section of chimney beneath the cap that can be removed? Rick

It is in sections. I was wondering about removing the top portion so I have access, but had no idea if that was possible. If I could get the top section off I would only be dealing with 4' or so of pipe and I could get some cleaning stuff down the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.