Chimney Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotulburner

Sep 9, 2010
maine
Getting chimney inspected and cleaned Oct 18th. I bought house 2 years ago and I have 3 brushes and extensions from previous owner just wondering how hard the process is? 2 flues #3 Jotul on one and oil burner on the other. I intend on watching pro's do it when they come but would like some perspective from the knowledgable members of this forum. Also any Ideas on how much a reputable sweep should charge to inspect and clean chimmney?

Attachments

• oct1.jpg
    oct1.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 246
  • oct1,3.jpg
    oct1,3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 283
  • oct.jpg
    oct.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 249
  • oct2.jpg
    oct2.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 271
Nice stove install there, looks nice from the photo.

I don't know how hard it is to clean though - I have yet to do mine although I plan to do it next year (yeah, said that last year) but seriously, I have watched a sweep do it twice now and I just can't see anything really all that hard in it. Messy yes, but not hard. I'm sure it will take me longer the first time than he spent on it, but I probably will be a bit more careful about some things too (especially when it comes to the stove pipe disconnect etc). I think you have the right idea to hire someone and observe - there is much to be gained in watching.

As to the cost - there is a thread here with a title something like "2010 chimney sweep cost" or somesuch. Lots of folks posted what they were being charged this year. I paid $125 here I think for my full cleaning including stove (which was pointless as I already had it cleaned out well enough) but at least the connector pipe is well cleaned out. Costs seem to run all over the place though but I would not hesitate to have a pro do the first cleaning if I just moved in just to get a good inspection of the system if nothing else.

No idea on the cost . . . I would guess around $75-$150 . . . but that's a pure guess.

More to the point . . . this should be a straight-forward and easy sweep . . . from the looks of it the biggest challenge will be getting up on the roof and removing the chimney cap stone. After that you just take the brush and screw it on to the rod, sweep up and down . . . adding lengths as you go . . . I'm guessing there is a clean out door on the chimney in the basement . . . at the end you just open this door and scoop out or shop vac the fly ash and creosote from the clean out.

Biggest thing is to make sure your brush fits snugly -- but not too tight -- in the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.