Chimney Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Decided that I would clean the chimney, the last time I cleaned it was at the end of Dec. 09. We have burned just over 10-11 face cord since the last cleaning if I remember right, so I'm happy with the results. The coffee can is two pounds.

Attached are some pictures of before and after.

I buy this from our local hearth store and really think it helps.

http://www.homesafetyproducts.biz/product_p/acs.htm?1=1&CartID=0

zap

Attachments

• 100_1722.jpg
    100_1722.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 673
  • 100_1723.jpg
    100_1723.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 674
  • 100_1724.jpg
    100_1724.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 677
  • 100_1729.jpg
    100_1729.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 667
  • 100_1733.jpg
    100_1733.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 685
Looks like you are doing it right. I used to go through ACS by the case with the old stove and tile chimney. I tried the new stoves and liners with and without and found no difference with dry wood so I quit buying it four years ago.

BrotherBart said:
Looks like you are doing it right. I used to go through ACS by the case with the old stove and tile chimney. I tried the new stoves and liners with and without and found no difference with dry wood so I quit buying it four years ago.

I'll continue and use it, we spray when we start up and on reloads. Tuesday I'm cleaning the pipe on the inside for the first time since we had the Liberty installed.

zap

I know that this is a silly noob question, but the soot in your liner wasn't really that light grey color, was it? I'm assuming that your flash and camera meter over exposed it and made it much lighter than it really was?

FixedGearFlyer said:
I know that this is a silly noob question, but the soot in your liner wasn't really that light grey color, was it? I'm assuming that your flash and camera meter over exposed it and made it much lighter than it really was?

Correct FixedGearFlyer, it is the same color has the dark soot in the coffee can.

zap

Zap, with all the wood you are cutting you soon will be able to have the same or even better results without adding a thing. We've never used anything added to keep creosote down and our chimney stays really clean. The last time we cleaned we got much less than what you show and that was after burning 6 full cords (2 years). This is just one more reason I preach about having good dry wood to burn.

Sav, next heating season (2011-2012) will be our first that all the wood will have been bucked,split and stacked for over a year so I'll be looking for better results then. This week looks like a warm week so the wood burning will slow down, but like my wife said last night you wouldn't want to burn that wood. :coolgrin:

zap

BrotherBart said:

BrotherBart, that fine ash that we had in the chimney can you still have a chimney fire from that?

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.