Chimney cleanout wet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Is this from the rain? We have not had rain for a week or so. Could it be condensation dripping down the inside of the chimney? When the cat is engaged, very little smoke comes out of the chimney. It looks more like steam.

Matt

I'd suspect hooligans from Union College are dumping beer down your chimney when you're not looking. :)

In that case, it sounds like what you need to do is leave a ladder next to the chimney and put a bucket in there!

describe your chimney is it lined what size flue you have

I am no expert but from looking at that picture the cap does not have a whole lot of overlap. Rain could easily still get in there from the looks of that. It seems to me my cover on the fireplace chimney hangs over twice as far as what you have pictured. A light blowing rain would easily put water down the chimney in my eyes.

What about this for a theory the warm smoke hits the cap and the cap acts as the wick for condensation

The cap could be causing the dampness from condensation

What about this for a theory the warm smoke hits the cap and the cap acts as the wick for condensation
The cap could be causing the dampness from condensation

Elk, you may be on to something here! I got a similar cap, only it covers both flues, and is supposed to be 17X 29 or 30, I ordered it from Ashleighs, and when it arrived it is like 20x 33. I mounted it, and it overhangs the sides by about an inch on each side, the length is big but ok, i mounted it to the crown on the 2 small sides, now I see some discoloring streaks down the sides of the chimney, under where it overhangs but outer wall of chimney.

I forgot to mention, it doesnt seem loose, and I knew it was wrong size, looks more like a pigeon coop up there, but on the down side theres one advantage to the mess up size, when brushing down chimney, i can remove one of those sides that overhang, not bolted to crown, for easier acess to chimney

I left the cap off my chimney for those reasons. We just had rainfall last nite and there isnt a drop of water in my cleanout. Im fortunate enuf not to have any trees right up against the house, so I dont get critters like chipmunks on my roof. And no cap deters and bird nests (they seem to love my soffett vents however, argh).

Status
Not open for further replies.