Chimney clearance for garage woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2011
NH
I bought a brand new vogelzang wood stove from Harbor freight for SHORT money. I am installing it in my 1 car garage.

I plan on using the single wall black stove pipe from tractor supply company.

Where can I find the code for single wall pipe to combustable clearances? as well as the code for the through the roof connection?

Have any of you guys used the hardy backerboard to "insulate" over studs and other dimensional lumber? I know I'm going to run into clearance issues...

Generally the code for the pipes is from the manufacturer. Many locales go by this to then ensure you are legal - for example you submit all the paperwork including installation documentation for what you plan to use then they check it out and ensure you install based on that instruction. That may help you 'find' the code - since its documented by the manufacturer and then approved by the NFPA 211.
Just saying - in MA I'm fairly positive installing any solid fuel appliance in a garage is illegal (NH probably different) but may want to make sure anyways.

Single wall pipe needs a minimum of 18" clear in all directions. As soon as it passes out of the room (through the ceiling or roof you must transition to class A high temp pipe which has 2" clearance minimum.

If this is one of the VG box stoves, good luck. They are not the best built or safest stoves. Be absolutely sure to check with local building dept. first. This may be an illegal install which I expect would void all insurance coverage. Durock needs to be attached with non-combustible, 1" spacers and with an air gap top and bottom to be a proper wall shield.

Articles on clearances etc. are here:
https://www.hearth.com/what/specific.php

+1 on the VG box stoves, not a great stove. I have a friend that heats his basement with the same stove and has run into many problems with keeping door seals tight and from what he tells me the higher temps warp the side panels

Please be aware that in the United States, The National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) develops, publishes, and distributes codes and standards intended to minimize the possibility and effects of fire and other risks. NFPA specifically prohibits solid-fuel-burning appliances within a residential garage. This policy is outlined in NFPA Standard #211.

Therefore, if your insurance finds out and something happens you may not be covered.

vogelzang not so good eh? I really only plan to use it when I need to do a brake job or whatnot. This is a DETACHED workshop. The only thing IN the building are tools. And a car only for a few hours when I'm working on it.

IIRC I could have a woodstove in a DETACHED workshop???

So I checked into this with my county building department and they would permit a woodstove in my pole barn. The barn has three garage doors so it is a garage. County is fine with garage woodstoves. I'm in a large county that includes urban areas and is nitpicky about all kinds of things, not some podunk redneck county.

Insurance company is not fine. In fact, I risk losing my entire insurance policy becuase they are so unfine with solid fuel burners in garages. Just because you don't tell your insurance company doesn't make it okay with them. When you file a claim for your burned down home, they will be able to say that the woodstove voids the policy and to pound sand.

Personally I think it is a stupid rule, I can run welders, torches, portable heaters and other flame covered experiments in the garage but not burn in a legally installed, safely installed, modern, vented wood burning appliance.

our county approves wood stoves in garages and other 'permitted' structures-shops etc, they want it up on an 18" pedestal (for spill saftey i think)

our county approves wood stoves in garages and other 'permitted' structures-shops etc, they want it up on an 18" pedestal (for spill saftey i think)

Same deal with my county. 18" up and certified.

I just spoke with my insurance company and the woodstove in an outbuilding is a "remove or non-renewal" deal. They know it can be permitted and safe, but the risk is too high for them to insure.

Status
Not open for further replies.