Chimney Connector Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avc8130

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2010
God's Gift to Gassification
I am working through plumbing my 6" stove chimney connector into my existing 8" masonry chimney. The dealer gave me a 6 to 8 increaser to use. My question "which is on top"? Basically my increaser easily slides into the flared end of my current metal 8" piece inside the thimble. The increaser does not SEEM to accept the standard side of the metal connector. The 8" metal connector does seem a bit out of round, but I think it is exactly the same diameter as my increaser.

What is the proper orientation?
ac

Why increase it? Just run the 6" connector thru the thimble & AT LEAST 1" into the chimney flue.
Insulate with rockwool & put on a 6" trim collar.

DAKSY said:
Why increase it? Just run the 6" connector thru the thimble & AT LEAST 1" into the chimney flue.
Insulate with rockwool & put on a 6" trim collar.

Increasing to 8" will let me stay nicely centered and use an 8" trim collar to hide the masonry thimble. I was reading the manual for the stove and it says the chimney connector must end FLUSH with the liner?

ac

Sorry, you didn't mention you had a liner. I assume you have a tee
with the snout going into your masonry thimble.
From the outside in, the connector pipe should fit INTO the next piece.
You may hafta get a crimper to be able to do this...

Status
Not open for further replies.