Chimney Creosote top of chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmichaud

I have now had a full month burning my new castine stove. Just the other day I checked the chimney and it looked like the bottom of the chimney has just some dusty soot in it. Very, very small amount. About two feet from the top of the exposed chimney it looks as if there is a very thin coat of creosote glaze. Is this something that is normal?

Mike

mmichaud said:
I have now had a full month burning my new castine stove. Just the other day I checked the chimney and it looked like the bottom of the chimney has just some dusty soot in it. Very, very small amount. About two feet from the top of the exposed chimney it looks as if there is a very thin coat of creosote glaze. Is this something that is normal?

Mike

Sounds about right.

Same thing here very thin, shiny can actually scrape it off with fingerrnail, seems where top of chimney is above roof line

This is also more so going to be the case in the early Fall and late Spring with smaller fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.