Chimney crown repair/sealer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timfromohio

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2007
I remember reading sometime last year about a chimney crown repair product that basically coated the entire crown and filled in cracks. I believe that it was a product not available to the general public - only sold to licensed sweeps. I cannot remember the name? Need to read up as the crown on our masonry chimney is in need of repair this year.

Thanks!

Thanks blujacket - I'm pretty sure that's the product I read about on the forum. Do you have any experience with it?

most crowns are done w/ the leftover mortar from laying the brick... peel it off, form it up, and pour in some quickcrete and rebar.

summit said:
most crowns are done w/ the leftover mortar from laying the brick... peel it off, form it up, and pour in some quickcrete and rebar.

I did just that with my furnace chimney this summer. Just took a putty knife / scraper and lifted the broken sections of the old crown up (which was all of it, and the first layer of brick) and used mortar that was recommended for chimneys to relay the top bricks and create the crown. Really not a lot to it so long as you get the right consistency out of your mortar when mixing. Too wet and it will all sink down around your liner, too dry and it won't move for you well and will bond poorly.

pen

Thanks for the replies. I found where I could buy the chimney saver online, but it was like $130 and enough for multiple crowns. Re-doing the crown with crickcrete might be the way to go.

timfromohio said:
Thanks for the replies. I found where I could buy the chimney saver online, but it was like $130 and enough for multiple crowns. Re-doing the crown with crickcrete might be the way to go.

I re-did my crown with 2-3" of quickcrete (also had to reset 2' of brick that came loose). My sweep, after installing my stove & stainless liner, then used the crowncoat to seal it.

Do yourself a favor and fill the gap between the liner & the mortar with urethane caulk. This is what is used for expansion joins etc in walls. Much better than silicone.

Status
Not open for further replies.