CHIMNEY CROWN REPAIR

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
My chimney crown is in need of repair. It is starting to crack in numerous spots. I was thinking of just slapping on another layer of cement over the old cracked one, then using some kind of water sealant like UGL Drylock. What do you guys think?

Also have seen some crown sealers for this but they want over $100 for 2 gal of the stuff. Is there a cheaper way to do this? Thanks.

This is not a repair but to slow the weathering process down oncan get concrete patch in a caulking tube form. If adding a thin layer
then you need to coat the exinting cement wit a bonding agent like weldabond first found at most masonry supply dealers

Thanks Elk, That's kind of what I was thinking.

Mo heat the first moderator had a mantra to leave no post un-answered. Mo I doing my part

elkimmeg said:
Mo heat the first moderator had a mantra to leave no post un-answered. Mo I doing my part

... and you are hereby awarded the Mo Heat gold star for your efforts. ;)

I had a chimney sweep seal the crown on one of our chimneys about 5-6 years ago with the Crown Seal product. It has held up quite well, although it is expensive.

I have used Quikwall Surface Bonding Cement (http://www.quikrete.com/catalog/QUIKWALLSurface-BondingCement.html) on two other chimney crowns and it too has held up well. It is designed to go on thinly and is waterproof. It is not flexible like the Crown Seal, but is reinforced with fiberglass. I havn't seen any cracking on either crown in the 4+ years since repairing them. It is much less expensive than the Crown Seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.