Q&A Chimney damage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Just had a certified sweep clean and inspect my masonry chimney. He used a video system to check for damage. We found a few small voids in the grout between the flue tile joints, and one crack running vertically from the bottom to the top of the third tile up. My chimney is approximately 18'high, with nine (13" x 13") tiles.My question is, how serious is this condition? The one crack didn't seem to be separated very much at all. Should I install a stainless steel liner, if I'm installing a Wilkening Heat Exchanger? Or an insert liner if I decide on an insert?I have asked questions in the past, and want to thank you very much for all your help.

Answer:

It would be my guess that the great majority of masonry chimneys have cracks and voids similar to yours. Clay tile is very fragile and houses shift and settle.

Based on your description, I'd guess that the Wilkening Heat Exchanger would be fine. If you do get a different insert, you might consider lining both for performance and safety. In addition, a liner makes it easier to sweep the chimney.

In summary, I doubt that your described condition represents an immediate fire hazard.

Status
Not open for further replies.