Chimney Damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drozenski

Aug 14, 2010
Rochester NY
I just had my chimney redone. The company could not install my new stove because while my stove meet factory/insurance requirements it did not meet town requirements for the size of my floor mat. So since i was grandfathered in with a different stove i put it inplace myself. The only downside is i have to hook up the pipe from the stove to the new chimney.

My only question is do i need to have a Chimney Damper? One of those things in the pipe that you can partly close or open?

Can't believe I'm the first to respond. In many cases a damper is not needed but it depends on the stove, chimney draft. If it's an EPA certified stove and there isn't an overdraft issue you should be fine without.

I doubt you need a damper. Cat stoves shut down pretty low and are very controllable. Try it without for awhile and see, pipe dampers are an easy install if you need one later.

Nothing really more to add here that hasn't already been said . . . most of the time a damper isn't necessary for an EPA stove unless you have an excessive draft . . . as Todd said try running it without a damper . . . it's an easy install at a later date if you think you need one.

BLIMP said:
what kind of chimney [detailed description from stovetop to chmnitop] & how tall?

44 inch's till 90 bend

38 inches from 90 into wall

22 feet till top of stack

single wall pipe liner inside masonry chimney

Had a small fire last night. Worked well. Draft seemed alright. Got a some soot build up on the window but i think thats from me having the front door open to get the fire really going at first instead of the side door.

drozenski said:
BLIMP said:
what kind of chimney [detailed description from stovetop to chmnitop] & how tall?

44 inch's till 90 bend

38 inches from 90 into wall

22 feet till top of stack

single wall pipe liner inside masonry chimney

Had a small fire last night. Worked well. Draft seemed alright. Got a some soot build up on the window but i think thats from me having the front door open to get the fire really going at first instead of the side door.
no damper needed, i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.