chimney diagram & question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Here are two diagrams. The first is the original. The second shows minor changes I would like to make if these changes are allowed.

Please give me your comments on the second image:

1. Doing a hearthmount, I want to lower the damper blockoff plate. Is this okay?
2. Can I install a cleanout as shown in the second image?
3. Where the image says "liner": Does this mean the clay liner that already exists inside our chimney?

I guess I am a very visual person so I hope these diagrams correctly project what I am planning.

Shari

Attachments

• chimney_a.jpg
    chimney_a.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,352
  • chimney.jpg
    chimney.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 481
Yes on all 3 accounts Shari.

BeGreen said:
Yes on all 3 accounts Shari.

Aha! I am learning! I sure wish stove prices weren't so high... we just might have to stick some new doors on our fireplace and limp our 50 yr. old damper through this winter and dream of 24/7 burns for next winter.

Shari

Save up and keep you eye on the local Craigslist for a good used stove. If you can get a Jotul 8 or an original VC stove in excellent condition for under $500, go for it.

BeGreen,

Jotul 8? I don't see that model on their website. Do you have specs on it?

I have been watching CL with no success for me but my girlfriend bought one(!). Seems VC's run $900+ and need gaskets, Jotul's are few and far between.... I will keep watching as we have a cord of 2 yr. seasoned firewood to pick up today. Now that wood was a CL good score!

Shari

BeGreen said:
Save up and keep you eye on the local Craigslist for a good used stove. If you can get a Jotul 8 or an original VC stove in excellent condition for under $500, go for it.

Good pint. I scored a napoleon 1400 with 24KT gold trim and doors for 380 bucks. Its in great shape. Im about to install it as soon as i figure out how to build the rear wall.

The Jotul 8 is no longer made. You would only find it used. It was the predecessor to the Castine. It's a medium sized stove with about a 1.5 cu ft firebox. This is not your only option, and I don't know if it's the best fit for your fireplace, room and house. But it does sound like you want a rear-exit stove.

These would be cast-iron stoves probably made by Jotul, Dovre, Morso, Lange and if used and low priced probably will not be EPA approved. However, run correctly they heat well and burn relatively cleanly for their generation. There are some good VC stoves, but many are more complex than others, and some are kind of maintenance intensive, so it's good to know what specific model you want in advance. I had the original VC Resolute stove and still am partial to that design.

Status
Not open for further replies.