Chimney directly to stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flusher17

Jun 3, 2010
ADKs, Northern NY
Is there any problem with attaching the stove outlet directly to Excel chimney? I am installing a Jotul Oslo with the flue outlet straight out the back. I know this was not the best choice, but it was my only option. After the flue collar on the stove, I only have 6 inches to the back wall, then the pass-through, then a T, and then straight up 16 feet. The entire set-up is built of non-combustibles. So my question is: can I just attach an adjustable length of Excel chimey to the flue collar on the stove and just have that one piece go horizontal through the wall and connect to the T? I have a short length of double wall black pipe, but it seems dumb to have the extra pipe joint.

Any suggestions and help would be great. Thanks

Is this connecting to an exterior chimney? What lines the hole through the wall?

A pic of the setup would really help.

You can check out photos of my half done project at the posts titled "Destroyed Hearth" and "Starting to look like something."

The Excel chimney is exterior, but will be in an insulated chase in my breezeway. The through the wall part of the pipe is covered by the two piece pass-though made by Excel. It keeps an air gap to the framing and sheathing, although my framing is all steel and the sheathing is 5/8 Durock.

Status
Not open for further replies.