Chimney dirt leg

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flusher17

Jun 3, 2010
ADKs, Northern NY
I just finished installing a Jotul Oslo with 16 feet of Excel 6" above a tee. What I am wondering is: does anyone put a short length of chimney under the tee and then cap the bottom? I am picturing it like a gas line has a dirt leg under the tee to catch the junk. Would this just be a waste of time, or a good idea to catch any dust, dirt, or other junk that may fall down the chimney during cool periods in between burns?

Thanks for any info or opinions.

That would work okay. On ours, we have a tee. It is outside so we just need to take the bottom cap off. There is usually a little soot there but not all that much. However, I've seen some setups where a lot of soot and creosote would fall out. In that case, then perhaps a 6" pipe would be good.

Hey BarkEater, I have to ask about your avatar? Looks neat. Was this for a parade?

Thanks for the reply. My tee is outside, too. I think I will go with just the tee for now and see how it goes. Then maybe I will put a 6 inch dirt leg on if there is an accumulation of stuff there.

The photo is from the Tour de France. There is a large parade on every stage for an hour or so before the racers pass through. All the sponsors have floats and throw out free stuff to the spectators. Then come this float with the guy in the yellow jersey. He marks the end of the parade and lets everyone know the race is coming just behind.

B

That surely explains it. They have some wild parades during the Tour.

Backwoods Savage said:
That would work okay. On ours, we have a tee. It is outside so we just need to take the bottom cap off. There is usually a little soot there but not all that much. However, I've seen some setups where a lot of soot and creosote would fall out. In that case, then perhaps a 6" pipe would be good.

I have the same set up as Dennis . . . and like Dennis I get a bit of soot, some fly ash . . . maybe a bit of creosote . . . as long as you're burning seasoned wood at proper temps you shouldn't have to worry about having a whole lot of stuff building up in your chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.