Chimney Dripping Water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnxtreme

Jan 22, 2007
I installed a woodstove in my shop, the walls are all cement block, so I went up 2', an elbow, thru the wall, another elbow, and then 20' up the wall to the roof. The outside elbow is constantly dripping water, of course, none of these pipes are insulated, since it's installed against block. Is there any way to stop the condensation, the cap is a little shanty style cap, maybe I need a better cap?

the problem is the pipe you used the gases are cooling quickly you need to put in a propper chimney to fix this.

Leelli said:
Once you go through the wall you should have changed to Class A/Type HT pipe.

Is this the triple wall stuff i used in my house, man that stuff is like 50 bucks each, compared to $7 for the uninsulated. I figured i havce the perfect conditions, why use the expensive stuff, what did they do in the old days when thay had no insulated stuff? Is there no other way out of it?

I thought you wanted to know the "right" way to install it. Class A/Type HT is either triple wall air insulated, double wall with insulation, or double wall with air and insulation depending on manufacturer, as long as it is UL Listed to UL103HT it should be fine. As you have found, the cheap way is not always the best.

You could put another pipe below the outside tee that could gather the water. My insulated pipe collects water too but there was no other way for me to install a chimney in our house without sacrificing much in the way of space.

It draws fine but collects a little water, I just dump it out of the end cap.

Pook said:
mtnxtreme said:
Leelli said:
Once you go through the wall you should have changed to Class A/Type HT pipe.

Is this the triple wall stuff i used in my house, man that stuff is like 50 bucks each, compared to $7 for the uninsulated. I figured i havce the perfect conditions, why use the expensive stuff, what did they do in the old days when thay had no insulated stuff? Is there no other way out of it?
triple wall is not class a & costs more like $50/ft.
how's your draft with the drips & all?
This thing burns better than my home woodstove, thats what sucks abt. it!

Actually, there isn't a Class A anymore, but what most people refer to as Class A (the old UL 103) is triple wall, the new standard (UL103HT) uses insulated double wall, as the triple wall can't pass the heat test.

If it burns great and is dripping water outside, then don't worry about it. Drill a hole in the bottom of your vertical run and put a bucket under it (or not).

I guess it's really no big deal, so I'll drill a hole and call it quits, since it's working so good, thanks guys!

I'm thinking a hole to let the water drip out will also increase the amount of cold air going into your stack.

The introduction of the cold air at the elbow would tend to move the zone where creosote starts forming down lower I would suspect.

This would not be good since it would move the creosote closer (in theory) to the stove where it could readily ignite with a good hot burn.

What? Since when can you put up a ton of block chimney with no pad or footing?

orange bucket from home depot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.