Chimney evaluation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I just installed a 15' liner in a standard hearth with a small cast stove. The chimney is an interior one surrounded by large pines and is prone to down draft. Would it be safe to say that: today it's 57*f outside and very windy, if the chimney performs ok today when draft is poor, when the temp drops the stack should perform better?

I have a small fire going to burn some stink off some painted parts and it seems to work just fine even though the wind is very strong.

Charlie

That sounds good. When it gets below 30 it'll be drawing strong.

ckarotka said:
I just installed a 15' liner in a standard hearth with a small cast stove. The chimney is an interior one surrounded by large pines and is prone to down draft. Would it be safe to say that: today it's 57*f outside and very windy, if the chimney performs ok today when draft is poor, when the temp drops the stack should perform better?

I have a small fire going to burn some stink off some painted parts and it seems to work just fine even though the wind is very strong.

Charlie
http://www.woodheat.org/chimneys/wind.htm

I wasn't really comparing apples to apples because the last stove that used this chimney was an insert that was a "slam install". The old stove was using an oversized flue and had no cap. Now that I have the correct size flue and a good cap it's no wonder I'm pleased with the performance. I always thought this was going to be a "bad" chimney because of it's location and the prevailing winds coming over the tall pines and turning down on the house and chimney. I was wrong. Lesson learned.

Thanks B
Charlie

You've done well. This winter is going to be a much more pleasant experience and a lot warmer inside too.

As others have said . . . and I will reiterate . . . the draft almost always is better and more pronounced when there is a greater temperature difference between the outside and inside temps . . . I rarely have any issues with the draft, but the few times I have had issues were in the early fall or late spring when the house was close to (or even cooler than) the outside temp. If things are working well now I suspect this winter things will be even better in terms of the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.