Chimney fire? How hot till creosote ignites?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jzinckgra

Feeling the Heat
Jun 12, 2009
Raymond, Maine
I lit my hampton stove tonite and like most nigthts, I use newspaper and a few pieces of birch bark. I usually bring the probe temp up to ~900F then close the air off some. I scared myself (and my wife) earlier as the temp shot up to 1100F. I looked outside because there were fairly large flakes of burned material floating by the window. I thought we had a chimmney fire, but there was no roar in the stovepipe. I quickly closed off the air and ran outside and saw no flames. I was thinking I'd be calling the fire dept, but I came back in and the temp had fallen to 900F and it is now down to ~450F. This is a new stove this year and we've had maybe 15 fires in it so far. Can creosote build up that quick? I know I've learned my lesson and will keep a better eye on the temp upon initial firing. Talk about having that lump in your throat.

On another note, I also have a sucking of air sound around the door. I'm sure it is the seal, but can seem to find exactly where. I use my shop vac around the seal to clean the door and I wonder if I've pulled some of the rope out from the groove.

Those flakes could of been burnt newspaper or birch bark being lifted out with the strong draft. Take a match or lighter around the door and see where the flame sucks in. Door gaskets are easy to replace you should have instructions in your manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.