Chimney fire with good outcome.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hass

Minister of Fire
Mar 20, 2011
Alabama, NY
I know these usually end up getting locked, but I like this one because they actually posted up how it ends. This was right around the corner from me. I see people burning wet wood all the time, chimneys smoking like all crazy. But yet everyone around here says that pine is the cause of chimney fires. More wood for me I say :)
Skip right down to that last line if you don't want to bother reading about dogs, unlocked doors and unsafe stoves.

Burn safe folks... Don't be this guy/girl here. They're going to be in a world of trouble with the way zoning is out here. We may live in the country in the middle of no where, but if you skip on an inspection you're going to get it...

Although I'm confused why they shut off gas to the stove if there was a chimney fire. That would make me think it's a gas/wood stove? Or perhaps a gas stove vented to a previous wood burning chimney? Or maybe a wood burning stove and gas stove sharing a common chimney?

http://thebatavian.com/?page=1

Chimney fire in Pembroke at old church that's now a house
post by Billie Owens in corfu, Darien, fire, indian falls, pembroke

Heavy smoke is spewing from the chimney of a church in Pembroke that has been converted into a house, according to a Pembroke firefighter on scene. The location is 690 Main Road on the corner of Lake Road. It looks like it's confined to the chimney. Corfu and Darien are also responding.

UPDATE 5:29 p.m.: The address is determined to be 8576 North Lake Road. Indian Falls is responding, too. All incoming units are to stage at Pembroke Engine 85, which is in a driveway across the street.

UPDATE 5:32 p.m.: They are trying to contact the homeowner regarding entry to the house but "have not heard back."

UPDATE 5:34 p.m.: An unlocked door has been located on the north side of the structure. Interior firefighters are going to enter "to see what we can see." A firefighter warns that dogs can be heard barking inside. Akron is on scene. They are putting up ladder(s) on the roof.

UPDATE 5:37 p.m.: Two dogs are seen locked in the basement along with a cat. There's no smoke. The furnace is on. The cat is running around. They'll need to gain front entry to get to the basement. They have not been able to contact the occupants. Animal control is not available, according to dispatch. A code enforcement officer is called. There are multiple renovations under way. They are putting up a light tower and taking statements from people at the scene.

UPDATE 5:43 p.m.: They are going to contact the owner of the building, who lives in Indian Falls. The interior crew has reached the stove in the center of the building and they have knocked the fire down, now checking for extentions. Firefighters have to be careful inside as there are places where flooring is missing and there are open beams.

UPDATE 5:45 p.m.: They are shutting off the gas to the stove, which was "jerry-rigged," according to a firefighter. National Fuel has been contacted.

UPDATE 5:52 p.m.: One of the occupants has been located at the Union Hotel and firefighters are speaking with him. They are getting into the basement. They are all set with manpower and will begin releasing some of the responders.

UPDATE 5:55 p.m.: The Town of Pembroke's building inspector is going to be contacted. "It's definately needed," says the firefighter making the request. The female occupant is heading to the scene.

UPDATE 6:03 p.m.: "You can disregard contacting the building inspector. We're on the phone with zoning now." Once the occupant arrives, she can "take care of the dogs so we can get in there."

UPDATE 6:10 p.m.: A zoning officer is on scene.

UPDATE 6:14 p.m.: Corfu units are leaving the scene, in service. A National Fuel rep is on site.

UPDATE 6:30 p.m.: Darien is back in quarters. The zoning officer has been provided the appropriate paperwork from the fire chief and there will be no further use of the chimney allowed at the residence until proper repairs are made and there is a re-inspection.

Was the structure on fire, or was the fire contained in the stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.