Chimney Fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John-Eddie

Jan 16, 2013
Dover, NH
www.hytronix.com
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone thought the following was evidence of a chimney fire...

Some info:

- Chimney swept and new stainless steel 6" flex liner installed last January.
- About 2 cord of seasoned hardwood have been burned since
- I never smoulder fires

...OK, so there was a blizzard yesterday. Today, I notice on the freshly fallen snow at the front of my house (and a little on the roof) some black flakes. See picture. These flakes smudge to just carbon/creosote easily, and have no smell.

The chimney itself has some blackening under the cap (that has been there before) and now, there seems to be a bit more creeping around the edges of the top of the masonry. See pic.

I've been home the past several days just about 24/7, and nothing unusual has seemed to be going on. Opinions?

-JE

snow.JPG flakes.JPG smudge.JPG chimney.JPG

John, I highly doubt that would be evidence of a chimney fire. Doesn't look like a lot there so I would not be too concerned. But remember, a chimney cleaning is never wrong! Do it even if for nothing more than peace of mind.

Reactions: John-Eddie
I agree with Dennis John, I highly doubt it, every year someone new to burning experiences what you have and think they may have had a chimney fire. It's good you're cognizant of any dangers and it never hurts to run a brush down your liner but you're fine.

Reactions: John-Eddie
Thanks to both of you. I doubted it too - it just seemed like there wouldn't have been enough time for enough creosote to build up. Also, I've been using Rutland "Creosote Remover" once a week. Not sure if it helps on not, but I guess it doesn't hurt. I also got a Gardus rotary chimney brush a few weeks ago, but haven't used it yet. If we get a January thaw I'll just let the fire go down for a day and clean it then.

-JE

Status
Not open for further replies.