Chimney Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony H

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2007
N Illinois
Went to reload the EKO in mid burn because I was going to be gone for 12 hours and wanted to keep it going and the flames roared up and were drawn up the chimney where they started a fire. I just let it burn out and it took just a few minutes.
I was not too concerned as the boiler is in a metal shed and the chimney is only 12 feet tall.
After I got to thinking should I be concerned could this damage the chimney ? It's double wall insulated stainless or cause any other problem.

Hmmmm....I've never heard of anyone with an EKO having enough creosote in their chimney to actually burn. Are you burning green wood???

it does not have much but with no storage I have been running at idle a fair amount this fall. The wood is pretty dry 20-22% when I tested and it's mostly maple and some box-elder cut last fall and split early spring.

Not all stainless steel is created equally. There are spec's the mfg's have to conform to in order to get a "class" rating. Even so metal heated to its max temp frequently can become brittle or corrode or warp. I have a ss chimney liner in the sections of pipe I use and the biggest probelm I found with it is creosote and water (=acid) and actually had to replace the chimney T and lower sections that were near horizontal. I had a wood furnace that the company recomended a daily open draft to reduce creosote. Somethimes the black pipe going to the stainless combo would get a dull glow going. None of the Class A chimney I had warped so I don't think it got that hot. The few minutes you are talking about should not have hurt the chimney and is well within spec's for rated chimney but a visual inspection would not hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.