chimney fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Well I had a certified sweep inspect my chimney yesterday and he found several tiles with vertical cracks and I was told I had a chimney fire at some time. I will be needing a chimney liner and I was told the insurance company should cover this.. The sweep only uses Ventinox liners and from the research I've done seems like a very good choice..Has anyone here placed a claim to their homeowner insurance company for this?

Ray

No we haven't but when we had our stove installed our insurance company required we have the local enforcement authority inspect for compliance to manufacturers installation recommendation. So if your insurance made that requirement and your installation was inspected and approved it might help with your claim.

Shari

Shari said:
No we haven't but when we had our stove installed our insurance company required we have the local enforcement authority inspect for compliance to manufacturers installation recommendation. So if your insurance made that requirement and your installation was inspected and approved it might help with your claim.

Shari

It was inspected by the fire chief when we built this house over 20 yrs. ago.. Do I have a record of this? Beats me lol that was eons ago.. The insurance company knows we have a stove in fact they tooks pics and asked that we keep a fire extinguisher nearby which we did..

Ray

Ray,

Your insurance company might require some type of proof. Hopefully you have the same insurance company as when you installed the stove so they may have a copy of this inspection. If they don't or you have a different insurance company, you might want to check to see if your fire department has a record of their inspection. Get your ducks in order before you contact your insurance company - that way you are prepared to defend your position. Good luck, sincerely, and keep us informed as to what happens.

Shari

I always tell the homeowner after a chimney fire that they can claim the repairs to their insurance if they choose to do so. So far no insurance company has had an issue with it, other than maybe sending out a rep to be shown what we saw in the chimney and we always get asked why we are "upgrading" to stainless steel rather than just replacing it with what was there. Well, Mr. insurance guy replacing clay tiles would cheaper in materials, but here is the price for the additional 2.5 days of labor. Also, your customer is getting a safer alternative with a lifetime warranty!

98dingo said:
I always tell the homeowner after a chimney fire that they can claim the repairs to their insurance if they choose to do so. So far no insurance company has had an issue with it, other than maybe sending out a rep to be shown what we saw in the chimney and we always get asked why we are "upgrading" to stainless steel rather than just replacing it with what was there. Well, Mr. insurance guy replacing clay tiles would cheaper in materials, but here is the price for the additional 2.5 days of labor. Also, your customer is getting a safer alternative with a lifetime warranty!

Isn't that the truth! My insurance company called and they are sending a rep but they won't see anything as the sweep took pics on the roof and I doubt they'll climb up there.. Replacing 20' worth of tiles would be expensive with the labor that goes along with it.. From all I read in here the SS liner is a far safer way to vent a wood stove...

Ray

The sweep ought to be able to write you a condition report.

Your Town or Village must have a record of the permits you pulled in addition to the fire chiefs inspection CO.

Unless they were like my fire chief, county inspection department and insurance company when I called them 25 years ago and told them I was installing two wood stoves in the new house. When I asked them to come and do an inspection every one of them asked "Why?".

The only thing the insurance company cares about is verifying that that the chimney is hosed and that fire caused it. This isn't a total loss investigation where they are trying to establish that the chimney wasn't up to code. They know it is by the fact that a building inspector signed off on the occupancy permit twenty years ago.

BrotherBart said:
Unless they were like my fire chief, county inspection department and insurance company when I called them 25 years ago and told them I was installing two wood stoves in the new house. When I asked them to come and do an inspection every one of them asked "Why?".

The only thing the insurance company cares about is verifying that that the chimney is hosed and that fire caused it. This isn't a total loss investigation where they are trying to establish that the chimney wasn't up to code. They know it is by the fact that a building inspector signed off on the occupancy permit twenty years ago.

I agree with you Bart.. I went to town hall and all they have is the occupancy permit and I am sure the Fire Chief looked at the stove over 20 yrs ago along with the smokes... I called the retired fire chief as he lives on my street and left a message to see if he had the permit in the attic or something lol.. This town has grown like crazy since we built here even the town hall is new now..

Ray

Not sure what you have for a deductible, but mine is $1000, so for a $1000 - $1500 liner job, I would not be "wasting" a claim, and paying $1000 deductible.

Common practice is to put a sticker on the electrical box and the inspectors sign and date the sign offs for each step on that. Mine is still on the box down in the basement. But it doesn't matter with what you need done. The insurance company will fix the thing. They can't take the chance that you will keep burning after notifying them and burn the house down. I had a couple of temperature differential cracks above the top mortar on my chimneys when I relined then and after all of the chimney fires I had in one of them I could have gotten the insurance company to pay for the liners. But I didn't want their nose in my business or to be waiting around for bureaucrats so I just lined them myself and said the hell with it. When the local inspector came out to sign off on the permit I had to give him a short class on NFPA 211 and what a stainless liner is. :roll:

That liner is chump change to your insurance company. Just be sure they pay for an insulated one since there are cracks in the tiles.

Northeaster1 said:
Not sure what you have for a deductible, but mine is $1000, so for a $1000 - $1500 liner job, I would not be "wasting" a claim, and paying $1000 deductible.

I am with you on that. I dont think the new liner would come even close to that cost if it was done yourself.

Your insurance company took the risk when they wrote your policy. Fire is a covered peril. Home Owner policies provide coverage for repairs/replacement of a chimney after a chimney fire. Don't get all shook up, just turn in the claim. Give the adjuster a couple of estimates that are fair and competitive and you should't have any problems.

In a previous home, we had a chimney sweep verbally tell us the same after a annual sweep, cracked tiles. $3000 to repair..., insurance company sent another sweep with a camera. Documented and showed to us, and Better Business folks, that the first sweep only cleaned the top 6 feet and bottom 6 feet of the chimney, and there were NO cracks or damage.

BrotherBart said:
Common practice is to put a sticker on the electrical box and the inspectors sign and date the sign offs for each step on that. Mine is still on the box down in the basement. But it doesn't matter with what you need done. The insurance company will fix the thing. They can't take the chance that you will keep burning after notifying them and burn the house down. I had a couple of temperature differential cracks above the top mortar on my chimneys when I relined then and after all of the chimney fires I had in one of them I could have gotten the insurance company to pay for the liners. But I didn't want their nose in my business or to be waiting around for bureaucrats so I just lined them myself and said the hell with it. When the local inspector came out to sign off on the permit I had to give him a short class on NFPA 211 and what a stainless liner is. :roll:

That liner is chump change to your insurance company. Just be sure they pay for an insulated one since there are cracks in the tiles.

Bart unless they take out the chimney liner insulation would not fit as the flue is 7x7 inside dimension and the flue pipe is 6" dia... I suppose taking out the clay liner is an option as well.. The insurance adjuster will be here tomorrow to inspect the chimney while I'm at work..

Ray

raybonz said:
BrotherBart said:

Bart unless they take out the chimney liner insulation would not fit as the flue is 7x7 inside dimension and the flue pipe is 6" dia... I suppose taking out the clay liner is an option as well.. The insurance adjuster will be here tomorrow to inspect the chimney while I'm at work..

Ray
The tiles should be removed because the soot on them is considered a combustible and you are correct even if they could send the liner down the existing clay liner they wouldn't be able insulate to UL 1777. I think 98 percent of the liners I remove the tile before dropping the liner and dumping my insulation in.

98dingo said:
raybonz said:
BrotherBart said:

Ray
The tiles should be removed because the soot on them is considered a combustible and you are correct even if they could send the liner down the existing clay liner they wouldn't be able insulate to UL 1777. I think 98 percent of the liners I remove the tile before dropping the liner and dumping my insulation in.

Hi Keith,
The sweep said he would roto-clean the old liner before the SS liner was put in to clean off the creosote.. Want to hear what the insurance rep has to say before anything is done..

Ray

Even if you scrub those tiles spotless there is still creosote that has seeped into those cracks in the tiles and even so leaving the tiles in still does not allow for a min of 1" insulation the entire diameter of the liner.

98dingo said:

What happens after they pay the claim- does the insurance company just raise your rates to make it up or even drop your coverage? I have heard horror stories of home insurance companies raising rates for just INQUIRING about a claim! Their reason is you are a higher risk since you brought an issue to their attention. I figure insurance these days is more for catastrophic loss.

fire_man said:
98dingo said:

What happens after they pay the claim- does the insurance company just raise your rates to make it up or even drop your coverage? I have heard horror stories of home insurance companies raising rates for just INQUIRING about a claim! Their reason is you are a higher risk since you brought an issue to their attention. I figure insurance these days is more for catastrophic loss.
I often wondered, but its never my place to ask a customer about there personal info.

The agent is gonna try to talk you into paying yourself instead of filing a claim. Home or cars. They get a check at the end of the year based on no claims. Fortunately I found that out before a fender bender. Agent tried to talk me into paying the tab to keep my rates from going up. I told him that I hadn't paid for the damn policy without any claims for thirty years just to pay out of my pocket. Just fix the ladies car.

Rate didn't go up. The next year they actually went down based on "safe driving". This year they bumped the homeowner's policy by a third. Said the local fire department wasn't good enough. Told him to cancel the policy and walked out. Got a voice mail the next day that the policy was back to the old rate.

Having an in-law in the insurance business pays off sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.